Return to Baseball Leftovers

Next Impact Callup?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:17 pm

ukjohn wrote:Travis Blackley if the Mariners call him up over Meche to take Garcia's spot

When this happens, I'm all over it...been reading about him for a few months...
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:18 pm

Surfs up wrote:Angel Guzman White Sox

what? you have the wrong side, he is a cubs prospect not a white sox prospect. And their staff is fine so he won't be called up anytime soon, maybe next year.

The two best and obvious impact prospects would be Wright and Upton. Blanton isn't pitching as well now, as his era has risen up over 4 lately. Even if Blanton was to be called up I don't see him being much of an impact.

Also I wouldn't say Upton is being delayed due to Lugo's play. He is being delayed because he needs to work on his defense and the Rays are winning a lot right now. No need to bring him up when everyone is playing so well. Upton should be up to play the last 2 months of the year, as Lou has stated that he would rather have a couple months to judge new talent coming up.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby warrick95 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:22 pm

Upton is the cream of the crop, for sure.

Keep an eye on Reed now that he's on Seattle. They suck so much that they may give him a call later on this year because they won't be contending.

I don't see Marte getting the call this year. They won't rush him. Betemit's currently very hot at AAA, so if a 3B gets the call, it'll be Wilson first. With Franco playing well and Chipper at 3rd, it looks like neither will be getting called up.

Look for Wiggs to perhaps get traded, leading to Wright's call up.

Duke is ahead of Blanton to start, IMO. They've gotta give him some retribution for his success this year.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:23 pm

Surfs up wrote:Angel Guzman White Sox

40 K's and no walks in 30 A Ball IP 8-o

Not so great after his promotion to AA though.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Super GM » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:08 pm

Check out Jose Capellan:

Jose Capellan has struck out 89 batters in 62 2/3 innings in the minors this season. After going 5-1 with a 1.94 ERA at Class A Myrtle Beach, Capellan is 1-1 with a 3.31 ERA at Class AA Greenville.
(Updated 06/11/2004).

His record at AA Greenville

(2-1) 3.33 ERA

27 IP 9BB 35K

Pretty impressive if you ask me. And Bobby Cox thinks the same...

Fantasy Analysis
Capellan could be promoted to the majors at some point to work out of the bullpen. He is worth watching in NL-only leagues. "When you throw like that, you can pitch anywhere," Bobby Cox told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
(Updated 06/11/2004).
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby thehat » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:03 pm

Super GM wrote:Mike Wood of the Royals (came over in the Beltran trade)

Andy Marte of the Braves (a lot of talent!!!!!)

David Wright of the Mets (been phenomenal so far...)

Marte and Wright are big upside guys. Wood isn't. He's got Quad-A written all over him. Good changeup, but not much else. No shot at being any more than a way back of the rotation SP in the bigs.

I believe Upton is the guy at the top of the list. Best prospect of 'em all, and he's up shortly after the All Star break from what I can determine.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby Sunspot » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:52 pm

Between Lugo, Devilrays winning, and Upton's poor defense, do you think that they will hold off on him until September? Also, what kind of stats are predicted for him in the majors? What is predicted of Wright and who does he compare to?
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:59 pm

Pinella has said he doesn't like to evaluate players in September. I can guess why but that would be conjecture. If Upton gets the call it will likely be right after the AS break, from what I read. But his defense is truly A or AA standard and that may hold him back.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:00 pm

Sunspot wrote:Between Lugo, Devilrays winning, and Upton's poor defense, do you think that they will hold off on him until September? Also, what kind of stats are predicted for him in the majors? What is predicted of Wright and who does he compare to?

read my post in this thread, also it is almost impossible to predict any numbers for him. he is already very young, so who knows how he will do in his first time in the bigs.

i would reply to the rest of what you said, but i'm sure thehat or a met fan will help you there ... as i'm in a hurry to be somewhere.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:44 pm

Sunspot wrote:What is predicted of Wright and who does he compare to?

Here is the most recent thread on him. There are also a few more out there you can search for. He is compared to Scott Rolen by Baseball America but he is a long way from being like Rolen.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers