Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper strategy

Postby Mugrila » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:46 pm

this is my first season of a keeper league where we keep 5 players year to year plus 5 minor leaguers. i've never had to choose keepers before so i'm wondering if there are any general guidelines to follow or if you just pick your team's 5 best players and keep them no matter position (2 sp, 1 rp, and only 2 hitters?).
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
(Past Year: -70)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:01 pm

Generally speaking...in a 5 keeper league...I will only keep one pitcher...as a stud..and 4 hitters...unless you have two stud pitchers...then keep both...but hitting is usually easier to predict than pitching...I rarely will ever keep a closer....unless it is Gange right now...the other thing to think of...is not keeping five..and taking the extra draft pick(s).... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:09 pm

This subject was brought up in another thread that was moved and died off without any attention so I am going to tack it on here. ;-)

I have been playing FB for awhile but this is my first season playing a keeper. In the league I am in protecting keepers (only 3) is not a luxury it's mandatory. You are not allowed to opt for draft picks.

The subject in the other thread concerned Teixeira and someone was asking if he was a keeper. I forget the exact details but for argument's sake let's say they were keeping 5 players.

I said he was not keeper and was met with a little disagreement. My thinking was that Teixeira will not be drafted in the first five rounds next year so IMO you would be losing value by protecting him.

I am interested to hear how others view this and if people are willing to protect a player just because he may be a high draft pick down the road but not neccesarily the following year.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:41 pm

It totally depends on the type of keeper league you are in. If you keep 5 players and just lose your first 5 picks then you reserve your best 5 players no matter who they are.Players like:Arod,Schilling,Vlad, Beltran, Pujols are No brainers to keep. These leagues are where all players regardless of ability cost the same to reserve.

Other leagues(and in my opinion the much MUCH more realistic/fun to play in ones) are leagues where your reserves are 'weighted'. In other words you picked AROD in the first round if you want to reserve him You forfeit your first round pick next year. You picked say Abreu this year in the 3rd round you would lose your 3rd round pick in order to reserve Abreu. In this system you are more likely to reserve your best VALUE players not necessarily your best players. Most likely the person that got Michael Young got him in say the 7th or 8th round if not later. You would be faced with the choice: Keep AROD and lose my first round pick or Keep YOUNG, forfiet my 8th rounder but still get to pick in the first round......

Another example would be Gagne or Foulke vs KROD or Lidge. Gagne or Foulke probably will cost you at least a 2nd to 3rd rounder to reserve while Krod or Lidge probably at most will cost you a 10th to 13th rounder IF that.

then there are Auction leagues, which are the most fun of all in my opinion but that is a whole other ball of wax.....

hope this helps

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers