Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is Kearns worth???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is Kearns worth???

Postby JJ » Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:29 pm

Hey guys, I own Austin Kearns in a standard 5x5 non-keeper league and was wondering what he is worth in trade. I could use help at SP and OF. I'm interested in hearing some names that I could expect to get in return for him before I make any offers in my league. Thanks in advance.

JJ
JJ

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby NY1b23 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:10 pm

I would expect a Garrett Anderson type OF for him. For IF, maybe Jose Vidro, Chavez. SPs - Mussina, Mulder.

Kearns is a 3 or 4 hitter in a pretty nice lineup. He's already shown that he can hit at .310+ over almost a whole season. He has the potential to breakout like Berkman did a couple years ago. I think he should command a high price.

I have him in both of my leagues and I'm just going to stay put.
NY1b23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Da Rook » Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:23 pm

Although I believe that Kearns will be a star...he is no where near that level right now. I own Kearn in my league and he is off to a hot start, making him a solid sleeper in 03; but he is no where near the level of any of those players that NY1b23 mentioned. You will need to package Kearns with another player in order to get one from that group. If you are looking to trade Kearns at this point, you should set you sights a little lower...like an OF of Sheffield's class and an IF in the class of a Mike Lowell or even a Carlos Delgado, and can land a SP of Freddy Garica or Jarrod Washburn (but that may be aiming too high).

However...trade him while he is hot!!!
If you Smell...what Da Rook...is Cookin'!!!
Da Rook
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby coolwaterx » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:02 am

[quote="NY1b23"]I would expect a Garrett Anderson type OF for him. For IF, maybe Jose Vidro, Chavez. SPs - Mussina, Mulder.

Kearns is a 3 or 4 hitter in a pretty nice lineup. He's already shown that he can hit at .310+ over almost a whole season. He has the potential to breakout like Berkman did a couple years ago. I think he should command a high price.

I have him in both of my leagues and I'm just going to stay put.[/quote]

Are you kidding? You could not trade Kearns for any of those players you just mentioned. Jose Vidro and Eric Chavez are among the best at their positions not to mention they're infileders (more valuable than OF). Mussina and Mulder are better than average starting pitchers (also more valuable than the position of OF). Maybe you could argue that Kearns could put up Garret Anderson type numbers (.306 29 HR 123RBIs 56 doubles) but then why wouldn't they just keep Anderson instead. At this point I don't think you can get that type of player for Kearns. I'm going to keep him and hope for a breakout year.
coolwaterx
College Coach
College Coach

Postby trippinonreality » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:01 pm

Best anyone has proposed me for kearns was sheffield but I'd just hang onto him if I wanted sheffield. He may or may not be worth Chavez but no one will give you Chavez for him.
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:02 pm

If someone is dumb enough to give you Chavez for Kearns, jump on it. He is the best 3B in baseball. Kearns might be in the top 30 outfielders.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:31 am

he very well might be worth an ibanez or matsui (sorry to people who have read a bunch of my posts, but i love these two players)... even though i think kearnsie is a good hitter, i'd certainly try to land a more established veteran bat in a better lineup while kearns #s are tops among the leaderboards.

see if you can nab a woody williams, runlevys hernandez, hee seop choi, moises alou, or someone nifty and cheap who you can get without giving up much.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers