Return to Baseball Leftovers

doing a research paper and i need your opions on this poll

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

one of the key ingredients of the demand for team sports is generated because of the uncertainty of outcome of league games

Poll ended at Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:43 pm

true i love watching competitive games
50%
false, i want my team to win and thats what makes me the happiest
50%

Total votes : 58

doing a research paper and i need your opions on this poll

Postby mcure » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:43 pm

:-?
mcure
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:50 pm

I want my team to win............

I think the only people who should answer "true" are Yankee fans but they're too greedy to actually want good competition, they'd rather spend all of their money and guarantee themselves a 50% shot at the trophy. Reminds me of that dorky kid who pays people to be his friend rather than doing it the hard way.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Opinion Ape » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:25 pm

I'm sorry, I don't understand. These aren't mutually exclusive. My number one hope across sports I'm interested in is that my team win . . . that aside, I care more about competitive games. Obviously, once my team is out of it, and in regards to games that don't affect them, I want all other games all to be unbelievable down to the wire gems between evenly matched squads. That's why come hockey season, and my guys are gone, I hope every game goes about 5 overtimes.

Anyways, I didn't vote because I don't see where this is an either/or decision.
Opinion Ape Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pedantic » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:29 pm

I don't really give a crap how competitive they are. All that's important is winning. In fact, I wouldn't mind if every one of my team's games was a blowout in their favor. ;-D

Of course, this is me speaking at a fan. Put on my fantasy baseball cap and it's a whole different bag of tricks, depending on what players I own. ;-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:39 pm

For the Cubs, all I want them to do is win. Now other teams I don't care much about, I like to watch a competive game. I can't answer the question because I have 2 different directions.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:42 pm

if it is a game my team is playing then i hope my team wins. i would find a close competitive game more interesting but all that matters is the win.

if i dont have an interest in either team then a close dramatic game is preferable. however, in some instances, a record setting blowout could be fun watch. so in conclusion, san dimas high school football rules!
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby mcure » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:53 pm

to clear up what i was saying in the question.........1-are you a fan who likes to watch baseball for the competition. for example, your team is playing and you just hope its a good game cause you just like watching the athletes perform. or 2- you want your team to win, you would like them to win every game if that was possible and u would like to see them be dominant and you really dont care if they win every game 14-0 because u just wanted them to win.

some fans like to go to the game get a hotdog and beer and just spend a couple hours at the ballpark. other fans go root for their team to victory and are happiest when there team wins.

thats the question i was trying to ask
mcure
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby racmurphy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:59 pm

I imagine everyone would love their team to win every game. But the reason we want that is because we can't have it. If the Braves had won every game they played since they were created, MLB would have folded by now. An uncertain outcome is not only an important factor, it is the essential factor. Remember what Chris Berman always says....
racmurphy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby reenum » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:19 pm

I personally don't enjoy watching 13-3 games, even if my team is winning. A close game makes you feel that rush in the late innings that is the core reason, in my opinion, we have major league sports in the first place.
reenum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -13)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:25 pm

well I don't have an opions ... ;-7 not even sure what it is ...

But I much prefer a competitive game ..... especially when its my team. ... does that help?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers