Return to Baseball Leftovers

doing a research paper and i need your opions on this poll

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

one of the key ingredients of the demand for team sports is generated because of the uncertainty of outcome of league games

Poll ended at Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:43 pm

true i love watching competitive games
50%
false, i want my team to win and thats what makes me the happiest
50%

Total votes : 58

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:14 pm

wrveres wrote:But I much prefer a competitive game ..... especially when its my team. ... does that help?

That is spot on!!

The Cubs late inning heart attack games they've had this year have been amazing...even when they lose. It is a bit depressing when they walk in the game winning run though.

On several occasions, I have been close to shooting my TV but, fortunately, am unarmed so it's safe for now.

Of course, sometimes it's hard to watch THE GAME, because I am transfixed by the scrolling stats on the bottom of the screen!! I'm also in Central IL so, when the Cubs aren't close or are playing like garbage and it gets too painful, I can flip over to the Sox, the Braves on TBS or the Cards and often some other game from ESPN too. Very good spot for baseball. The problem is that the Braves are the team in which I'm least interested but they have the best scrolling update thing. I really need to just bite the bullet and get another TV or two...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:47 am

one of the key ingredients of the demand for team sports is generated because of the uncertainty of outcome of league games
true i love watching competitive games
false, i want my team to win and thats what makes me the happiest

I'm at a loss.

I like to watch my team. I like to watch team sports.I like to watch competitive games. I like to watch my team win. I like to watch people play the game, it doesn't need to be competitive . . .

Is your hypothesis limited to team sports? Does it not apply equally well to, say, nascar? tennis? olmpic events?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:11 am

The vast majority of sporting contests I see don't involve my favorite team or, neccesarily, individual (golf, Olympics, etc.). That said, I want MY team to win, but I watch SPORTS hoping to find a tightly contested event that is not decided until the final stages.

i.e.: Bears smoke the Patriots 46-10 in Super Bowl XX. That was fine; I'd been suffering with the Bears since Sayers and Butkus had four good knees between them (and I'm suffering again).

The other blowout Super Bowls of the 80s and 90s that didn't involve the Bears? I hit the dial and found something else to do.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby mcure » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:50 pm

let me try to clarify myself again. some sports like football i am a fan of the ny giants but they suck. so i tend to watch other games, and i usually root for the underdog or certain players. in basketball i root for the knicks, i want them to win every game and when the knicks are out of the playoffs i really dont care what other teams are doing but i do root for good games.

so i guess i am asking, do u like to watch baseball games for the competition not really caring who wins just hoping its a good game to watch.

or do you have a favorite team and really want to see them win it all, and if your team is out of it, you sort of lose interest the rest of the season or just hope to watch good games the rest of the post season.

i hope that clarifies things, thanks to everyone who answered the poll question, and sorry if i was not that clear at first.
mcure
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:16 pm

racmurphy wrote:I imagine everyone would love their team to win every game. But the reason we want that is because we can't have it. If the Braves had won every game they played since they were created, MLB would have folded by now. An uncertain outcome is not only an important factor, it is the essential factor. Remember what Chris Berman always says....
This is basically what I was going to say. I would love for my team to win every game, but after a few years of winning every game as a blowout it just wouldn't be any fun to watch/follow/root for a team you know is going to win every game and every championship. But like racmurphy said we all want it because it can't happen. Even the Yankees don't win every game or every championship.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -181)

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:20 pm

mcure wrote:so i guess i am asking, do u like to watch baseball games for the competition not really caring who wins just hoping its a good game to watch.

or do you have a favorite team and really want to see them win it all, and if your team is out of it, you sort of lose interest the rest of the season or just hope to watch good games the rest of the post season.
Those even sound sort of the same. Both are saying you want to watch a good game.

I want my team to win, but If they aren't in it, I'll watch and hope its a good game. Unsually I'll pick 1 team to root and pull for them, but all I want is a good game.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -181)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:00 am

LBJackal wrote:I want my team to win............

I think the only people who should answer "true" are Yankee fans but they're too greedy to actually want good competition, they'd rather spend all of their money and guarantee themselves a 50% shot at the trophy. Reminds me of that dorky kid who pays people to be his friend rather than doing it the hard way.

Another intelligent post. :-P
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:32 am

Like it or not... the New Yoakahs I see are all pretentious and think they're the best things since sliced bread. I havn't met too many, but all the Knicks fans I've seen at Raptors games (I went to most of them in the two years we made tha playoffs, way back when) and when I was in NYC, they act like THEY won the games.

"Where's 'Mr. Hype' Vince Cattah?. Ahhahahha, take that Mr. Hype." when all they did was buy a bunch of over-paid clowns that barely make the playoffs every year..........

My point was that Yankee fans don't want to "earn" anything so to speak, they just want to be the team to spend twice as much money as anybody else and feel good about themselves for almost winning it every year. Hence the dorky kid who buys his friends comparison...... they don't care how they get there, as long as the results show up.

It was actually meant as a joke originally, but if ya wanna make it serious, it isn't all that far off.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:49 am

I disagree. Since I would bet that I know more Yankee fans than you, I would venture to believe that they don't necessarily want to spend twice as much as anyone else but the fact remains that they do. It's not that they want it. Over time, they expect it.

Let me ask you a question.......If you had a friend that picked up a 12-pack for you for every party, wouldn't you grow used to it?? If you had another friend that made a fool out of himself every time he drank, would you not expect him to the next time?? George has a pattern of trying to improve his team by any means and you can't fault the fans for expecting it to continue until changes are made to the system.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:42 am

So you guys don't WANT George to spend twice as much as everybody else in order to be successful, but you're glad that he does?

Personally I'd rather have a competitive team built of players that have been around for a while. Players who I can watch improve. I don't want to see Sheff, Giambi, Moose, Rocket, A-Rod, etc declining. I want to see a guy like Delgado or Halladay develop into a star. I realize the Jays bough a bunch of players tow in the 92/93 World Series, but it's not as if it's a regular occurrence. We picked our spot; Robbie, Carter, Henke, Duane Ward and the rest of the gang weren't going to be together forever so why not make a run.

To me it seems as if all the Yanks' fans are interested is winning and could care less whose doing it. "Hey we got rid of Soriano (a rare home-grown superstar), and brought in the best SS in baseball - and we're gonna make him play 3rd cuz Jeter is stubborn!".

It doesn't seem like a love of the game, it seems like greed and wanting to vicariously trample over everybody else in the baseball world. That's the way it comes across, anyways. I'm sure since you know lots of NYers they're not like that, but that's the image they portray.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers