Return to Baseball Leftovers

Did I pull the plug on Prior too soon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brdmaverick » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:43 am

pomplona's finest wrote:Since its a keeper league it was a good deal.

I think for this season it is a great deal, but in keeper league I think that makes it questionable. Every year we have seen pitchers have great years and then return to pitching mediocrity. Remember Paul Byrd, Rodrigo Lopez, Brandon Webb, and Dontrelle Willis.

They all had their time as great fantasy players, but then the clock struck midnight.

With Sheets and Prior, it could go either way. I mean, Sheets is in the middle of his Cinderella year, and I could see him coming back down to earth next year. As for Prior, while he could become the Grant Hill of baseball, at least you have seen that he has pitched well when he is on the mound. Even Fred Taylor got over his injury label. I would rather have Prior over Sheets in a keeper league.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:23 am

Im going to go out in a limb and say Sheets comes crashing down in the 2nd half. Remember I said this.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pomplona's finest » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:30 am

I don't think Sheets is having a one-year-wonder type of season, he has always had a lot of potential. He MIGHT get lit up a lot in the second half, but I see him as declining a bit but still playing well overall.
AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)

Postby titanut » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:59 pm

To give you some perspective, I offered B Webb for Prior, and it
hasn't been turned down, although, I expect him to counter for
Peavy, Sabahia or J Wright- we keep 3.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby reenum » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:39 pm

I think for this season it is a great deal, but in keeper league I think that makes it questionable. Every year we have seen pitchers have great years and then return to pitching mediocrity. Remember Paul Byrd, Rodrigo Lopez, Brandon Webb, and Dontrelle Willis.

This is a good point, but I think that all of those guys, except maybe Willis, were mostly junkball pitchers who rely on luck and defense to get outs. Sheets has the ability to K people on a consistent basis, and I think this fact bodes well for his future.

As for Prior, he is one of the greatest pitching prospects in recent times, but I just don't like the way Dusty handles his pitchers. He rides them hard, and it seems to show down the line.
reenum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -13)

Postby Bea Arthur » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:37 pm

brdmaverick wrote:

They all had their time as great fantasy players, but then the clock struck midnight.

quote]

I don't really think you can compare Sheets to those guys. Sheets has been a bona fide prospect and star in the making for a few years now. Didn't break outta the gates like Prior did, but he's still very young, and if it weren't for the fact that he played in Milwaukee, I'm sure he'd be valued much more. I realize I gave up more for the long term, but I don't think Sheets is exactly a crappy keeper.
Bea Arthur
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:55 am

brdmaverick wrote:

I think for this season it is a great deal, but in keeper league I think that makes it questionable. quote]

Ditto that.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers