Return to Baseball Leftovers

Serious question about Jason Giambi's abilities

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jojo » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:30 pm

it's too obvious...

McGuire got Giambi started on roids.. both of 'em, back in Oaktown. Funny the close proximity to Balco.
Got Johan?
jojo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:41 pm

jojo wrote:it's too obvious...

McGuire got Giambi started on roids.. both of 'em, back in Oaktown. Funny the close proximity to Balco.

McGwire was turned on to roids by Reggie Jackson during their time in Oakland together. Reggie was turned on to roids by the pressure to play for Steinbrenner. It's all the Yankees fault. :-D
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:24 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
Super GM wrote:lack of 'roids??? :-?

With all due respect, could you please post a link to your source with this insinuation/accusation?

Thanks.
Barry Bonds personal trainer admitted to a grand jury to giving "clear" (undetectable) steroids to Barry, Jason Giambi, and Marvin Benard (there was one other, I cant remember, maybe Sheffield?) Is court testimony good enough?

gonna have to have aask for a link on that one ....
Preferably not mentioning the SF Chronicle, or unnamed source, preferably .... :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:49 am

Alright, it's circumstantial, but do the Giambi-was-not-on-roids defenders think that he really did diet this winter? Seriously? His teammates didn't even recognize him his body changed so much.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:58 am

Alright wrveres, Ill go article searching after school DaQ what was that link. I just remember hearing that on ESPN the radio. And I think court testimony is usually reliable more times then its not, especially since he was convicting himself in a crime and not denying an allegation.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby rmeesig » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:53 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:Alright wrveres, Ill go article searching after school DaQ what was that link. I just remember hearing that on ESPN the radio. And I think court testimony is usually reliable more times then its not, especially since he was convicting himself in a crime and not denying an allegation.

the old - "if I'm going down, I'm taking everybody with me" stance, eh? still not proof to me. Giambi hasn't even been charged with anything, has never tested positive for steroid use, and doesn't even show the typical symptoms of quitting steroids.

He HAS been sick all year. I mean geez, imagine if everything you ate was going to a bug in your system rather than supporting your body. You'd have a hard time hitting the ball as far as you normally do as well!

As far as his pre-season shrinkage, it was another media fabrication/sensationalism...look at him now, same weight, same size...one guy gets pic of him at a wierd angle making him appear thinner, puts it on a website, and immediately everyone thinks he lost 20 lbs. I was in FLA this spring and saw him play in 7 games...he was no smaller than normal.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:51 am

STERIODS ARE NOT THE ANSWER!!!

No one has answered this: If he only got off steriods after last year, what would explain his .250 average when he was "on" steriods?
Whatever that reason is, I think is the answer.

My opinion is the Giambi-shift and his refusal to hit the ball the other way, down the left field line. But does anyone know when teams started employing the Giambi-shift?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:30 pm

Check out this post from earlier this year....

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... &&start=15

It might surprise you!!!!!!
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Tavish » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:36 pm

Giambi 2003

Giambi 2004

Thats one hell of a diet.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:40 pm

Tavish.......If that 2nd picture is from this year, I would also like to buy whatever beachfront property you have in Iowa. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers