Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is the next Japanese star?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is the next Japanese star?

Postby Iguana » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:46 pm

Look for next years Hideki or Kaz Matsui so I can pick them up n my keeper league.

What Japanese players are coming over to the U.S. next year that could potentially be stars?

Where would I find out more about this?
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DMXdawg » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:49 pm

Cause asians actually compete with American firepower?

What happened to that taiwanese slugger for the rockies, he disappeared, and nomo has been a bust this year. Hideki is all right, and shingo has been deceptive so far but he'll be figured out soon.

and bruce chen? he was a big prospect wasn't he, he fizzled out unlike other former american prospects like randy johnson and mark prior and nolan ryan.

:-t
DMXdawg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:50 pm

Ya I really have not seen one consistent, solid Asian player, especially pitchers. They are unhittable one year and then suck for the next 3. See Chan Ho Park and Hideo Nomo. The only one that was good 2 years in a row really is Hideki.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby BGbootha » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:54 pm

ummmm... I would have to throw out the name..ICHIRO.....327 in the MLB not too shabby.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -20)
Home Cafe: Football

Hey!!!!

Postby Iguana » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:06 pm

I didn't post this to hear Japanese players get bashed!!!

I mean besides Ichiro, Hideki and Kaz, Otsuka and Takatsu have been great this year.

In the past 3 or 4 years, there has been a big name Japanese player or two that has come over. I just want to know who it will be next year.
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Who is the next Japanese star?

Postby perlick29 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:11 pm

Iguana wrote:Look for next years Hideki or Kaz Matsui so I can pick them up n my keeper league.

What Japanese players are coming over to the U.S. next year that could potentially be stars?

Where would I find out more about this?

There is a section in baseball prospectus that tells you all about the next wave of asian players. For instance, they had Akinori Otsuka tagged as a big time setup man before the season started and they liked Shingo Takatsu a fair amount.

A guy they really like is a 24 yr old named Daisuke Matsuzaka who may be the best pitcher in Japan.

The best hitter in the Japanese leagues appears to be Michihiro Ogasawara who plays for the Nippon Ham Fighters, but by the time he posted for the US he'd be 33.

The next best option at pitcher might be Kazumi Saito who won the Sawamura award for winning 20 games. (basically the CY Young). he'll be 26 this year.
Hope those guys help your question.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)

Postby Chopper » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:12 pm

I haven't kept up lately, but these guys have a ton of info on Japanese players including a prospects page:
Baseball Guru
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Thanks

Postby Iguana » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:32 pm

Thanks guys

Perlick, are those guys you mentioned all coming to the U.S in 2005? How can we find out who will opt for the MLB and who is going to stay in Japan?
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Thanks

Postby Iguana » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:33 pm

Thanks guys

Perlick, are those guys you mentioned all coming to the U.S in 2005? How can we find out who will opt for the MLB and who is going to stay in Japan?
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Thanks

Postby perlick29 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:01 pm

Iguana wrote:Thanks guys

Of those three only Ogasawara is signed through 06'. That's when he turns 33 so he probably wont make it. But the other two could post as early as next year.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers