Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is the next Japanese star?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:44 pm

Holy crap I forgot about Ichiro. Hes been solid as well, but hes been declining.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:57 pm

DMXdawg wrote:Cause asians actually compete with American firepower?

What happened to that taiwanese slugger for the rockies, he disappeared, and nomo has been a bust this year. Hideki is all right, and shingo has been deceptive so far but he'll be figured out soon.

and bruce chen? he was a big prospect wasn't he, he fizzled out unlike other former american prospects like randy johnson and mark prior and nolan ryan.

:-t

Bruce Chen is from Panama. Born there, still lives there. If you're gonna rip the Asian players, at least name the right guys. Or maybe Panamanians are overrated as well?
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby perlick29 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:01 pm

thehat wrote:
DMXdawg wrote:Cause asians actually compete with American firepower?

What happened to that taiwanese slugger for the rockies, he disappeared, and nomo has been a bust this year. Hideki is all right, and shingo has been deceptive so far but he'll be figured out soon.

and bruce chen? he was a big prospect wasn't he, he fizzled out unlike other former american prospects like randy johnson and mark prior and nolan ryan.

:-t

Bruce Chen is from Panama. Born there, still lives there. If you're gonna rip the Asian players, at least name the right guys. Or maybe Panamanians are overrated as well?

Hehe, good one thehat, Mariano Rivera=Panamanian=overrated?
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)

Postby Rirruto » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:10 pm

Cause asians actually compete with American firepower?

There have been lots of solid players coming out of Asia in recent years and to underrate them is just stupid. Sure Hideo Nomo isn't having a good year, but come on, he's only human. Coming into this season he has a career record of 114-90 with a a real nice 3.85 ERA. How is that not solid? How about Kaz Ishii? Sure, his WHIP is pretty damn high but he gets the wins and has a decent ERA. Or maybe Shiggy Hasegawa or Kaz Sasaki? 129 saves in 4 seasons isn't to shabby for Kaz. Don't even get me started about Ichiro or Hideki Matsui.....These guys come into MLB past their primes already and still do a decent if not great job because Japan doesn't let them become free agents until they play like 8-10 years in Japan. How can you just undermine the contributions that Asian players have provided for major league teams in the past few seasons? And are you that big of an idiot to actually compare Bruce Chen to the Big Unit, the Ryan Express, and Mark Prior?
Last edited by Rirruto on Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -26)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:15 pm

the guy on Cleveland, tadano.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -2)

Postby DMXdawg » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:57 pm

Bruce Chen still has asian genes. Japanese players are worse off period. For every decent japanese player there are at least five good american players. Japanese and asian players are weak.
DMXdawg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Rirruto » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:01 pm

You're one ignorant ass. I'm not even going to retaliate, your ignorance has left me dumbfounded.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -26)

Postby Chopper » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:22 pm

Tomo Ohka, Choi, and to a lesser degree, Seo, have had success this year.
BH Kim and Chan Ho Park, if they weren't injured, would be regulars.
The Asian bashing is worse than ignorant. Please keep it civil.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:34 pm

Let's be civil guys.

It's a good topic and I'd hate to lock it. Thank you to those who have contributed in a positive manner. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby M.Akihiko » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:40 pm

Cabrera 1B, Maybe he is the best batter in Japan. He come form C America. He was play with Kaz Matui. Maybe he will back to USA next year.

Uehara SP, Matuzaka SP, Igawa SP, Watanabe RP. They are top pitchers in Japan. But I think they are not better than Nomo, Not this year's Nomo. I think they stay in Japan next year.

I am not sure who is going to MLB next year.
M.Akihiko Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers