Return to Baseball Leftovers

Most Insulting Trade Offers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:53 am

CrazyPooja90 wrote:Update,

Dustan Mohr and Craig Biggio for Wood.

:-? toughie

Still, Adam Kennedy for Mark Prior is worse. Can anyone beat Bea Arthur's?

I'm sure there are plenty that can beat that. Before R.Alomar went on the DL a guy offered me Alomar for my Soriano straight up. Said that Alomar is one of the best 2B in baseball history. I laughed and told him I'm not a history buff.. keep it present. And I tried to make a deal with him to. Told him I would take Alomar for Soriano if he took Kearns,Rhodes for his Bonds,RJ. Think he got the point?
Nope.. about 1 mth later he offered me Burrell for Schmidt straight up. Rejected that. Then when F.Thomas started missing time but playin occasionaly still he made me an offer of Thomas,L.Gonzo for Schmidt,J.Dye. Needless to say we haven't made any deals. :-D
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:42 am

Bea Arthur wrote:in instances like that, i like to counteroffer with an equally horrendous deal

I usually offer my worst player for their entire team! 8-o
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby great gretzky » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:54 am

i got a hillenbrand and mota for teixera this morning (no holds).

I don't really get mad, as I offer bad trades sometimes. It never hurts to ask. But when I am in the lead and made a few savvy trades so far this season (orlando cabrera and iringhausen for schilling -- from the guy who jsut offered hillenbrand) and kaz matsui for tex, why do people think I am going to suddenly turn stupid?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby DK » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:29 am

Kennedy for Soriano and Encarnacion for Oswalt have been my worst.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:18 am

I don't like to dick around. I make what i think is a good offer from the start. I don't like to waste anybodys time. If you start low you might lose out to somebody that may already be taking with your trade partner. Some like to use the car salesman approach. Screw that. Sharpen your pencil and get it done . Wham bam thank you mam
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)

Postby Rohan » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:35 am

Livan Hernandez and Juan Uribe for Manny Ramirez. and the sick thing is he was serious, with a 1 paragraph long reason why I should take the trade.
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:20 pm

pomplona's finest wrote:
Why is it that people get so insulted by a bad trade offer? It's often just to start the negotions and get a conversation going. Plus you have to start low so that you can end up moving towards the middle and making it seem like you're giving up a lot. If you start off with all you've got to offer then they'll just end up asking for more.

I understand what you mean by setting up a basis for trade offers and not letting the other guy expect too much but this offer was horrible. It is hard to work off something like this.

I agree. Some people want to get things rolling but some people want to try to rob you. With that offer, I would lean towards the latter.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby BeefSandwiches » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:44 pm

I completely agree with Surf. If a guy sends me a ridiculous offer, I think he is just bored and being an idiot so I simply reject them and move on. If I want a player, I'll send what I think is a fair offer.

It doesn't offend me or make me mad, but this morning I got an offer in a keeper league where the guy offered me Kaz for my Beltran or Crawford whichever guy I didn't want. Not only is not a good deal, but Crawford and Beltran are not even close to interchangable so I didn't take him seriously and didn't consider making a counter offer.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Trot Nixon » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:57 pm

Theres gotta be something with Soriano, I got offered Rondell White and Jason Marquis for Soriano. I then proceeded to counter offer I-Rod, Tejada and Helton for my Shields, Hafner and Reggie Sanders ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:02 pm

i only feel 'insulted' when people attempt to justify their ridiculous offers. its one thing to start off with an offer of a garbage player for a stud but its completely different to tell someone that bagwell is actually better than pujols and they are doing you a favor by making that offer.

just recently i have been shopping nomar and i got a message from another manager saying 'you are looking to trade nomar and i am offering an average pitcher (john thomson) in return.'

i was once offerred shawn green straight up for vlad. this offer came from a manger who called me retarded when i proposed two preseason trades of miguel cabrera for bartolo colon or tejada for mussina. i would have been the one giving up cabrera and tejada. thankfully he rejected those offers and his team currently sits in 5th place, a full 38 games behind me.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers