Return to Baseball Leftovers

Juan is Gone for the season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Juan is Gone for the season

Postby Althalius » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:04 pm

havent seen a thread about this, and dunno how many people actually care, but heres the scoop.

Jul 30 Gonzalez is done for the season. The Royals' slugger, who hasn't played since May 21, will be out the rest of the year with a disc problem in his lower back. It's the same disc that plagued Gonzalez in 1995. The 34-year-old veteran was progressing in his rehab work until the painful symptoms that surfaced in May returned early this week.
Advice: Before the discomfort returned, Gonzalez was on target to return this week. His season ends with a .276 average, five homers and 17 RBI in 33 games in 2004.

Jul 29 Updating a continuing story, the Associated Press reports Kansas City Royals OF Juan Gonzalez (back) is expected to miss the remainder of the season due to a lower back injury. He hasn't played since May 22.

Jul 30 The Royals have ruled out a return for Juan Gonzalez this season due to a disk problem in his lower back. "We do not see him coming back this season," general manager Allard Baird told the team's official web site. Gonzalez played only 33 games this season, hitting .276 with five homers and 17 RBI. He's been on the disabled list since May 22.
Views: Gonzalez has had back problems for a long time, and we have to wonder if the former MVP is going to hang up the cleats soon. At the very least, he won't be back with the Royals next season.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:19 pm

If an oft-injured player on the downside of his career gets hurt and is expected to miss the season, does the news make a sound :-?

Thanks for the info.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby ondeckb » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:09 pm

In the midst of an unbelievably disasterous season.....finally some GOOD NEWS! ;-D
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby pomplona's finest » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:11 pm

I think most probably weren't expecting much out of Gonzalez for the rest of this seeason. I can't say I am too confident about his future either. Well, I think it is safe to say the juan gone is done.
AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:39 pm

never saw that one coming
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -53)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:26 pm

Who the hell is Juan Gonzalez?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:31 am

Sadly, and oddly enough, I've got Juan in an extra DL spot. Sad due to I thought he would turn in a decent year, odd because who actually has an extra DL spot :-D ? Ah well, time to let him go. Thanks for the news. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Return to Baseball Leftovers