Return to Baseball Leftovers

NOMAR TO CUBS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:20 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Im not saying this wasn't an awful deal for the Red Sox, but I think it was a much better deal for the Cubs, who basically gave up nothing for a superstar, a topnotch prospect and some extra cash.

While Murton is a 1st round pick, he is not a top notch prospect. He is at best an average OF in 3 years or so....more likely a 4th OF type.
Better than Brendan Harris however. Why did the Sox select him in the first round if he wasn't a good prospect?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:34 pm

SOMEBODY CALL 911....

CUZ THE CUBS ROBBED EVERYONE!!!!

Omg I was at the Yankee game today and left after the 8th inning. In the car I heard the first radio report that Nomar might have been traded. I immeadiately was angry that Boston probably got Clement. When I the details were revealed that Clement was not part of the trade, I pumped my fist in excitement.

Boston got hosed. True, it's better than getting nothing but it's not a good deal at all. GO YANKEES!!
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:58 pm

I don't actually think that the Red Sox got too badly hosed in this deal. They got Mientkiewicz and Cabrera, who both play excellent defense. Millar was a TERRIBLE 1B. Also, the Red Sox got Roberts. Also note that with Cabrera and Roberts, the Red Sox have Damon, Cabrera and Roberts who can run. This deal changed the Red Sox from a station-to-station power-hitting team, into a team that can play small-ball, when they have to. This also could supremely help Derek Lowe to become a better pitcher, because his ground balls will actually get fielded now.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:37 pm

If the Red Sox had gotten Clement, this would be a great deal. As it is, they improved on their worst area, defense, by getting Mientkiewicz and, maybe, Cabrera. I don't know how much difference on D there is between Cabrera and Nomar, though.

The Cubs get a 2-month rental on a solid player and solidify their lineup. Who knows if Nomar will re-sign there?

The Expos just don't matter at all anymore.

As a Clement owner, I hope Nomar can spark the lineup to score a few runs for my guy--he's been screwed by lack of run support all year.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:40 pm

This was a bad deal. It only makes sense if Nomar made it very clear that he would not resign, and Theo had to take a discount because of his injury (his heel was bothering him last night).

Otherwise, Theo got Ralphied. :-t
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby Mr Last Place » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:10 pm

Awful,awful trade for the Red Sox

If the Sox were looking to upgrade the defense get Millar off the field and acquire Meintxhrielsf for first.That gets Millar off the field and a first baseman who can scoop Nomars throws out of the dirt and when he throws wide of the bag.

Unless Nomar is starting fights in the clubhouse every other day,keeping him the rest of the year and letting him walk for a couple picks is a much better option than trading him,Murton (sandwich first roud pick last year),and Cash for slight upgrades to Dave McCarty and Pokey Reese
Mr Last Place
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tmoney » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:35 pm

I guess Garciaparra will no longer be called Nomahhhhhh. Will it be NomAAAAAAr now (not sure how to translate his name to the Chicago accent)?
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:59 pm

Hmm, now that dust seems to settled, do you think Nomar will get better or worse at Wrigley?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:20 am

I think that Nomar will be as productive w/ the Cubs as he's been of late, good hitting, prob decent defense on the l o n g grass at Wrigley. I don't see that much of a change in his productivity. Maybe a slight increase in HR as all the liners off the monster won't get held up on their way out of the park now!!

The Cubs, on the other hand, are going to get a shot in the arm that they need. If Clement had been involved, I'd rather have had them get a bigger SB threat to do what Womack has done to them but, since they really didn't give up anything, it's a fantastic deal for them. And, since the Cubs are owned by the Tribune-- a media company-- who are going to realize how crazy Cubs' fans are, I'm REALLY hoping that they try to work something out to keep him.

I liked his comments, that he will really miss Boston-- but also that he appreciates the dedication of the Cubs' fanbase. I'm in Champaign and am driving up to the suburbs tomarrow and was going to just listen to the game on the way up but now, I'm going to make sure I get my butt in gear. Maddux' attempt at W #300 would have the freaking crowd going nuts anyway but, when Nomar comes to the plate, they are going to erupt.

If only we could get Maddux to 'punt' Bako....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby Hey » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:49 am

Punt? lol, im definately missing something.
Hey. Go Mets!!
Hey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -6)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers