Return to Baseball Leftovers

Value of having middle relievers..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Value of having middle relievers..

Postby xxkul976xx » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:41 am

is is worth trading for middle relievers like an octavio dotel or an arthur rhodes..
who else tops the list for middle relievers?
xxkul976xx
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:31 am

depends on league formats. If you have Holds count for you then yes. Plus they can give you some soild whip/era and sometimes good k's. If no to holds and only saves and wins count for you then not really.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Amnorix » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:15 am

I wouldn't trade for them. More than likely there are a couple of fairly solid ones left in FA. Look around for one.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:51 pm

people in my league have picked them up if the closer is on shaky ground or is coming off injury. Worrel got drafted in the last round of my draft he he'll be closing until the all star break now.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:09 pm

I decided that having Johan Santana in my bullpen was very valuable even though he doesn't start or close.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:11 pm

It depends. In a standard 5x5 league, middle relievers are only really valuable if they have ERA, WHIP and strikeout/inning totals signifigantly less than you would get from using the same roster spot on a closer or starter. That means that only the top middle relievers are really worth having, such as F.Rodriquez, Santana and Dotel. Weak middle relievers can hurt more than they help. Unless they have an ERA around 2.00, lots of K's and a WHIP around 1.00, you are probably better off using a mediocre starter, who will get you wins and more K's. I wouldn't recommend trading too much for a good middle reliever, because you can get as much value from a starter you find on the waiver wire.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Santana will start eventually

Postby drury34 » Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:00 pm

I agree with Chester - I also drafted Santana late, but for two different reasons:

1) he's a good backup reliever if one of mine go down (though I picked up Worrell the first week of the season and got really lucky with the Nen surgery);

and

2) As soon as he gets an opportunity to start, he'll probably pitch so well he'll force Gardenhire to continue to get him starts. I know (well okay, I hope) one of Reed, Rogers, Mays, or Kyle Lohse will falter one way or another, which should get Santana an opportunity sooner or later. How he's going to fit in once Milton comes back - if he comes back - I'm not sure.

Note from RotoWorld:
LATEST NEWS - April 17
Johan Santana is unscored upon in 12 1/3 innings this season. Santana has no wins or saves, but has struck out 16 and allowed just seven hits and three walks. He'll be in the rotation the first time there's an opening. He's worth owning, at least on reserve, in all leagues.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
drury34
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers