Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Contreras Rebirth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jose Contreras Rebirth?

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:58 pm

I picked him up when I heard he was going to the ChiSox. He's been my best starter this week.

2 starts, 1 win, 14 innings, 12 K, 2 BB, 1.93 ERA and 0.86 WHIP 8-o

Granted, it was against KC and Cleveland, but this is sure a promising sign for Contreras owners. I said I would drop him if he had a bad outing against either of these teams, but it looks like the change of scenery has been very beneficial for Mr. Contreras. I can't remember the last time he put together 2 quality starts in a row...

:-?

Here's my question. Is Contreras a spot-starter, or can he be trusted to start against some of the stronger AL teams. Obviously, we're gonna want to avoid the Yankees and Red Sox, but is he safe to start against teams like the Angels, Rangers, A's, Twins, etc? What are your thoughts? Do we just start him until he has another meltdown? :-P
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:04 pm

Watch his next start @BOS with great interest. If he does well there, he may become a reliable middle/back of the rotation starter in roto. As for now, he's probably a start vs. all but the big dogs.

Interesting note: CLE is the #1 run-scoring offense in the AL, as well as the #1 run-scoring offense in the AL over the past seven days. Thus, Contreras didn't exactly shut down a bad team here at all (btw, that run he gave up was really lucky...the triple and double were minor defensive mishaps not atrocious enough to be labeled errors).

He'll always be inconsistent, though, because the splitter is a pitch that's awfully hard to control. Sometimes you'll have it, sometimes you won't.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby pomplona's finest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:14 pm

I wouldn't trust Contreras, he is only spot start material. And risky spot start material at that. He lost value when he left the run support the Yanks gave him, and it is hard to trust him to pitch well. Like warrick said, the way he pitches often leaves him open to throwing erratically.
AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)

Postby perlick29 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:17 pm

My guess is Contereas wont have his splitter in his next start, but before he faced KC I did have a notion that he would turn it around. Here's the link:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=

Somebody, and I wont say who Lofunzo because that would be wrong, were too afraid to pick him up. But he's pitched twiced at Comiskey Park (even though that's not what it's called anymore) in his career, and he's pitched two gems. I think he is a start at home and a matchup wisely on the road. Throw him on the bench now, please, against Boston. Like I said though, he could be poised for a big August, although I did get the teams he'd be facing wrong. That's only because one of his days got switched so I was a little off. But a good start agaiinst the tribe is a good sign.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -75)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:58 pm

Enjoy the week he just provided, and save him a bench spot for his next start vs. Boston. After that, though, he should be reliable. He has several games against Detroit down the stretch, and only Anaheim looks genuinely scary.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:24 pm

granted hes been in the league for a very short time but heres the only teams against whom his "lifetime" era is lower than 5

Det- 1.13
KC- 3.00
Tex- 1.50
Ari- 2.84
TB- 1.32.

Tigers, Royals, Tex, Zona, D-Rays.. not very patient teams.

Red Sox, Oak, the teams willing to take walks kill him. and he kills the freeswinging teams. hmmmmm... i think this fits. cos he doesnt have the control but has gud stuff. teams that have the descipline to be able to lay off that nasty splitter seem to have an edge. and his division is mostly impatient teams.. his schedule for the rest of the year is kinda favorable 'cept for the one game against the Red Sox. i think he will be serviceable fantasywise rest of the way. but dont think youre getting a stud .. hes not "back". yet. :-°
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -47)

Postby pomplona's finest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:50 pm

Nice analysis toungue, I suppose the free-swinging guys that he will be starting against may actually help Contreras put up solid numbers the rest of the way. With smart spot starting and a little luck Contreras could be a fine guy to have.
AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)

Postby redsox588 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:16 am

can't wait to see jose face the sox....it'll be nice to get some extra BP in ;-D
redsox588
College Coach
College Coach

Postby warrick95 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:42 am

Tongue essentially hit the nail on the head. Great analysis. ;-D

One exception, may I add: when his splitter is as nasty as it was today...it doesn't matter if he's facing the freeswingers or the patient teams. His splitter is thrown with the exact same arm motion as his fastball, so if Contreras is able to establish his fastball, teams won't be able to consistently look for the splitter, thus still resulting in the same desired outcome of "Hegones." Still, of course, it'd just be easier to face the freeswingers that'll swing at that splitter no matter what. The splitter is a hard pitch to control, though, so he may have some problems there.

One more note...does Contreras always wiggle his glove a bit when getting ready for a splitter (or all pitches)? I noticed this a couple of times for his splitter, as did the commentators. You know how a splitter requires you to have a snug fit, causing you to wiggle the glove a bit if you're going to look for your grip while inside your glove? However, he switched to getting his grip behind his back for a few pitches afterwards. I didn't notice anything for the rest of the game...wasn't paying attention. This is just something to keep your eye on.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:52 am

Contreras will kill you man. I don't want him on my team..ever.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers