Return to Baseball Leftovers

Paul Byrd worth a pick up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Paul Byrd worth a pick up?

Postby LCBOY » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:10 pm

What say you Cafe? He's on a good team and he doesn't walk anybody. However, he does give up a lot of HRs.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:53 am

Hard to figure out. Look at his career WHIP numbers...horrific until that one good year in KC. Maybe he's cut down on his walks, that may be it, but I'm still not too sure. I'll predict a sub-1.2 WHIP to be safe...he gets hit relatively hard...

ERA should be under 4...don't expect that to be much better because of the longball.

Leo Mazzone's a miracle worker. Just look at what he's done with Jaret Wright.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby pomplona's finest » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:57 am

I wouldn't expect anything great from him, but he should but up respectable numbers. Truthfully he has only had a couple good seasons, but as warrick said Mazzone knows how to induce good pitching out of his pitchers.
AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:11 am

if you look at his numbers this year, he's been getting killed by the long ball. his walk numbers are actually quite mediocre (he's averaged like 2 per game for the past month) but he allows very few hits, so his whip stays pretty respectable. i think i'd take hampton before him, but as mentioned above, he could be a decent 5th or 6th man for your rotation.
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:43 am

George_Foreman wrote:if you look at his numbers this year, he's been getting killed by the long ball. his walk numbers are actually quite mediocre (he's averaged like 2 per game for the past month) but he allows very few hits, so his whip stays pretty respectable. i think i'd take hampton before him, but as mentioned above, he could be a decent 5th or 6th man for your rotation.

How are his BB numbers mediocre? He has 8 BB in 53.2 IP which would project to 24 BB in 161 IP. That is a ratio almost identical to that of Greg Maddux [24/146] and is also on par with the likes of RJ and Ben Sheets. These numbers are not abnormal for him as he walked only 38 in 228 IP in '02.

I don't know where you get that he allows very few hits from when he basically allows a hit per IP, now that is mediocre.

As for the original question, I would take a flier on him if you need help with your WHIP and as mentioned want someone who will put up respectable numbers across the board sans K's.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby thehat » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:59 am

Agree with Fats...nice back of your fantasy rotation pickup.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby Super GM » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:12 pm

If there were just the possibility to take him out of your fantasy lineup after six innings..... :-b Remember the game against the Mets two weeks ago, where he no-hit them til the fith or sixth inning and then just self-destructed? If you can get Hampton, then I'd take him over Byrd......
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby warrick95 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:51 pm

Leo Mazzone is one of the best pitching coaches in the MLB. Rick Peterson gets all the hype because of the book Moneyball, but Mazzone is just as good, if not perhaps, better. It's sad that people probably know him more as "the dude in the Braves' dugout who sits next to Bobby Cox and rocks back and forth on the bench" more than being the Braves' pitching coach.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:13 pm

warrick95 wrote:Leo Mazzone is one of the best pitching coaches in the MLB. Rick Peterson gets all the hype because of the book Moneyball, but Mazzone is just as good, if not perhaps, better. It's sad that people probably know him more as "the dude in the Braves' dugout who sits next to Bobby Cox and rocks back and forth on the bench" more than being the Braves' pitching coach.

One of the best? He is the best bar none.

Peterson is so overrated it's laughable. Peterson has done nothing to warrant him actually being considered even equal to Mazzone.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Return to Baseball Leftovers