Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why doesn't El Duque supplant Lieber?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why doesn't El Duque supplant Lieber?

Postby Althalius » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:01 am

I've heard all this talk about how El Duque isn't a great option for mixed leagues because he'll be losing his job soon once Mussina comes back. My question is why doesn't he just take Lieber's job? He's certainly doing better than Lieber.

After another dismal outing, Lieber is 7-7 and has a 5.02 ERA and 1.40 WHIP.

El Duque, however, is 4-0 with a 2.25 ERA and a 1.31 WHIP.

But now that I look into it, El Duque might have a staying chance after all:

"Aug 4 According to The New York Times's Tyler Kepner, speculation has New York Yankees SP Jon Lieber moving to a relief role when SP Mike Mussina returns to the lineup, but for now Lieber will throw with pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre in an effort to correct his mechanics. "We'll find out," Lieber said. "I don't know." (KFFL)

"Aug 8 Mike Mussina is scheduled to make a minor league rehab start Tuesday at Class A Tampa. He reported no problems after a bullpen session Friday. If his rehab start goes well, as expected, he will rejoin the team in Texas Wednesday and he could start Sunday in Seattle or Tuesday in Minnesota, according to MLB.com.
Views: It would behoove Mussina owners to wait at least one start to make sure he is healthy and in good form before returning him to your fantasy lineup. His return could mean Jon Lieber will lose his spot in the rotation. With Orlando Hernandez pitching so well as the number five starter and the top three set with Kevin Brown, Javier Vazquez, and Esteban Loaiza, Lieber may end up the odd man out." (Fanball)

[P.S. I havent been near a computer lately so someone may have already posted about this. If that's the case, sorry for the old news.]
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jumpman8288 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:07 am

I hope so, not for my team's sake but for the Yankees'.
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -14)

Postby sphinx80 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:51 pm

The Yankee Starters will most likley look like this

Brown
Vaz
Moose
Duque
Loiza and Lieber will fight it out for the fifth starter and the other one will move to the pen.

THats what seems to be the most likely option. If Leiber pitches like he did yesterday, he will take the spot from Loiza

But as of now Duque has the spot over both Loiza and Leiber
sphinx80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:45 pm

sphinx80 wrote:The Yankee Starters will most likley look like this

Brown
Vaz
Moose
Duque
Loiza and Lieber will fight it out for the fifth starter and the other one will move to the pen.

THats what seems to be the most likely option. If Leiber pitches like he did yesterday, he will take the spot from Loiza

But as of now Duque has the spot over both Loiza and Leiber

Agreed. No way is Duque getting bumped to the pen. He will remain the 4 starter and Loaiza and Lieber will battle for the number 5 slot. In the playoffs, the rotation will likely look like:

1. Mussina
2. Brown
3. Vazquez
4. El Duque

with Loaiza and Lieber bumped to the pen.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Return to Baseball Leftovers