Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Russ Ortiz's control always this dreadful

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Russ Ortiz's control always this dreadful

Postby jdh » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:42 pm

He gave up 9 freaking walks tonight and had a WHIP of 2.07 for tonight. Somehow, he managed to only allow 4 runs (2 of which he walked in). Is his control always this dicey, or was he just throwing his hat into the Chan Ho Park imitation contest tonight?
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcs261 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:52 pm

Ortiz has always had bad control. The last three years he has walked 94, 91, and 112 batters. Also, I'd consider Ortiz a second half pitcher. He totally stunk it up for me in the 1st half of last year. But after the All-Star Break, he was very good. So I'd be hesitant to play him until mid-summer.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:40 pm

dropped him for Blalock after that performance tonight

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:50 pm

I'm not going to drop him, he still is a top 30-40 pitcher although he doesn't help much in K's and hurts your WHIP. If the Braves get it together, he could win 15 games. I am going to try and trade him for a power pitcher of similar caliber though.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kcs261 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:58 pm

If you can afford to, I'd bench him to July or so. He'll heat up mid-season, I guarantee it. He's a lot like Corey Lidle in that respect. But he'll frustrate the heck out of you the first few months, at least he did with me last year. So if you have a bunch of holes, dumping him isn't the worst move in the world. He's definitely not a top 25 guy. Top 30 or 40 sounds about right.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:02 pm

I currently am using him as my #6 starter behind Mussina, Mulder, Wood, Odalis Perez and Wolf, and I also have Woody Williams and Sheets as starters. I will probably just use him when he is playing a weaker team or when the matchups look good for now until he gets on a roll. I think that he has enough trade value that dumping him would be a mistake, but I am trying to exchange him for another pitcher at around his ranking, like Nomo or Padilla.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kcs261 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:09 pm

I wouldn't dump him either, if you don't have to. My bet is that he'll be a top 25 guy for you down the stretch. In the meantime, bumping Woody Williams ahead of Ortiz in your depth chart is a no-brainer.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:16 pm

And I forgot to mention that I also have Lilly that I can bump ahead of him too, although Lilly also seems to have questionable control as well. I would like to trade Ortiz for a pitcher that has better control though because pitchers that walk everyone really drive me nuts. Walking home two runs with the bases loaded is ridiculous, make the hitters hit you rather than handing them runs on a silver platter.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:27 pm

Apparently, the eight walks he gave up was a career high so he surely won't be quite that bad again. What I like most is pitchers that are reliable, and may have an ERA in the low 4.00 range but don't tend to get shelled and that aren't injury prone. That's why I think Mussina is close to the most valuable pitcher in baseball. He is rock solid, has never missed a start to injury in his career, and plays for a team that will win 100+ games, meaning that he is guaranteed at least 15 wins.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kcs261 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:46 pm

I've got Moose, and there really isn't much not to like about the guy. I got him the 4th round this year, which I thought was a steal.

FYI, Woody Williams is pretty darn consistent when he is healthy, too. I don't understand the transformation in STL. But the guy has been lights out ever since he put on the red & white uniform.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers