Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Russ Ortiz's control always this dreadful

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:46 pm

This all goes back to when he was a child and his dad would come home with lollipops. He would see him walking up the driveway and would lose control of his bowel movements. It sure put a damper on the lollipop greeting every time.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:54 pm

Hopefully, if Woody stays healthy, he could win 15+ games this year on a potent Cards team. In fact, they pretty much need him to win that many to have a chance since, beyond him and Morris their pitching is garbage. If Pujols goes down to injury (he is getting an MRI on his wrist done), they are pretty much screwed.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kcs261 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:42 am

You're right, if Pujols goes down, the Cardinals are screwed. But on a positive note, JD Drew is supposed to be back soon. So maybe they could get by -- if Drew FINALLY lives up to his expectations? That's a big IF.

I also agree the Cards' pitching is suspect. The 3 through 5 starters suck, and who knows when Izzy will be back. With the way it looks now, I'd like them to finally give Jimmy Journell a look. But the Cardinals seem reluctant... I don't get it. The guy is 26 now.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Super GM » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:dropped him for Blalock after that performance tonight
That move was just plain STUPID! Why would anybody drop a proven pitcher for an average young 3rd baseman!?
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:42 pm

I think Ortiz is overrated. He walks a ton, and now without Pacbell, will see his hrs jump qiute a bit. Check out his last 3 year hr home/road splits.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers