Return to Baseball Leftovers

When to Veto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When to Veto

Postby Gmogd » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:53 am

A lot of people seem to be asking for advice on whether to veto or not. Basically, if you have to ask, don't veto. If you should veto, you'll know it. For example, I signed into my league tonight and got a message that i needed to review a trade. Bernie Williams for Lance Berkman, Eric Gagne, and Roy Oswalt.

If you see a trade like that, one that clearly stands out as a trade that will basically ruin the season for everyone, veto. If, however, someone manages to take advantage of another owner and you don't like it, too bad. Let it go through. That's a large part of how people win leagues, and its what its all about. So again, if you have to ask, the answer is no.
Gmogd
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Soaring like a dove. Right in front of a Randy Johnson fastball.

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:19 am

I usually take it on a case by case basis.

If the league seems to be knowledgeable, reasonable owners, a veto is rarely needed.

If the league is a bunch of morons you don't know and you see some strange trades, then I'm pretty willing to veto.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Re: When to Veto

Postby wrveres » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:33 am

Gmogd wrote:If, however, someone manages to take advantage of another owner and you don't like it, too bad. Let it go through. That's a large part of how people win leagues, and its what its all about. So again, if you have to ask, the answer is no.

I fail too see how Bernie for Berkman/Gagne/Oswalt is not . ..
"Taking Advantage of another owner." I would Veto it, but where are you drawing your line.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:18 am

i think he meant more along the lines of taking advantage of a manager who is willing to trade way too high for one of the players on your team that they really like. something like that, i would assume. as opposed to someone not giving a shit and just dealing away their stars.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -125)

Postby Amnorix » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:20 am

I agree. Just because one owner pretty clearly "wins" an exchange is not a reason to veto. Essentially, vetoes should only be reserved for either (1) when your eyes practically pop out of your head, or (2) you have good reason to suspect something fishy is going on (perhaps Team A has previously made 2 clearly unfavorable trades with Team B, and is about to make a third, and it's only May, or something like that).
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:41 am

I have a very simple and peaceful solution.....

"Don't join a league that contains idiots!"

That way if a trade even seams slightly fishy you can be secure that all members of the league have adequate baseball knowledge and you know it's cheating.

There seams to be a rising trend that disturbs me where someone fills out the last spot in their league with a girlfriend or a newborn son. One guy had his dog join. I saw with my own eyes a Great Dane Sally trying to push through a trade where she was most clearly being screwed. Good thing I lured her away from the keyboard with some treats. She would have ruined the whole league!
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:47 am

There seams to be a rising trend that disturbs me where someone fills out the last spot in their league with a girlfriend or a newborn son. One guy had his dog join. I saw with my own eyes a Great Dane Sally trying to push through a trade where she was most clearly being screwed. Good thing I lured her away from the keyboard with some treats. She would have ruined the whole league!

now thats funny

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ntz24 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:54 am

I've read some posts on other boards where people say that it's the responsibility of the commish to protect morons from making bad trades. I just don't buy it. If someone is willing to pay a high price for something, more power to the guy that wins the trade.

This is my first season of FBB and I get that much of this veto talk pertains to public leagues, so I can understand that part. However, I don't see how you can possibly veto a trade unless it's clear some cheating or collusion is going on. I've already seen some deals go through in my 10 team league that I couldn't believe, but I didn't vote against any of them.

These are the two "questionable" trades that went through in my league. I don't think either one is really fair (2nd one is worse)but I didn't shoot them down either. What do you think?

Konerko/Manny for Sabathia/Smoltz

Pujols for Vizquel/Ramon Ortiz
ntz24
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby mth1185 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:21 am

The day after my draft I convinced an owner to trade me Kevin Brown and Matt Clement for Jimmy Haynes. People wanted to veto it but my commish agreed with me that if I could convince an owner to do the trade he wouldn't veto it unless it flat out ruined the league. He definetly would have vetoed the trade in the OP because that is ridiculous. But trades that are just unfair to an owner rather than the leauge souldnt be vetoed
mth1185
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Gmogd » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:26 am

Chiggidy Chester wrote:I have a very simple and peaceful solution.....

"Don't join a league that contains idiots!"

Ah, there's my problem, apparently. I must have forgotten to check the "no idiot owners" option when signing up for my league.
Gmogd
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Soaring like a dove. Right in front of a Randy Johnson fastball.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers