Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells for Brian Giles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vernon Wells for Brian Giles

Postby Super GM » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:21 am

I just traded Vernon Wells for Brian Giles. Good deal for me?

C Mike lieberthal (C-Phi)
1B John Olerud (1B-Sea)
2B Craig Biggio (2B-Hou)
SS Omar Vizquel (SS-Cle)
3B Eric Hinske (3B-Tor)
OF Chipper Jones (LF-Atl)
OF Andruw Jones (CF-Atl)
OF Gary Sheffield (RF-Atl)
Util Austin Kearns (RF-Cin)
Bench Aubrey Huff (1B,DH-TB)
Bench Vernon Wells (CF-Tor)
Bench Joe Crede (3B-CWS)

SP Pedro Martinez (SP-Bos)
SP Mark Mulder (SP-Oak)
RP John Smoltz (RP-Atl)
RP Mike Williams (RP-Pit)
P Freddy Garcia (SP-Sea)
P A.J. Burnett (SP-Fla)
P Josh Beckett (SP-Fla)
Bench Byung-Hyun Kim (RP-Ari)
Bench Lance Carter (RP-TB)

Yahoo 12 team H2H standard league
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amnorix » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:24 am

Most likely. What you really need, though, is more infield help. If/when Giles comes back you should probably parlay one of your OFs into a better infielder. If Kearns cools off considerably, of course, then you can replace him with Giles. If not, you're pretty much overloaded at the position.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:30 am

Depends on your scoring, etc. but my first reaction was, honestly, I don't think you won on this one :-t

Giles is a big question mark right now, and Wells is having his bust-out season, and will top all his 2002 numbers. Chipper is no sure thing with his injury history, and now you've taken on another injury risk. Don't get me wrong, I love a healthy Giles on my team, but I just don't think that a) Wells should have been on your bench in favor of Chipper and b) you needed to take on another possible DL headache when Wells will probably have numbers close to Giles all year, except maybe in HRs, but look for Wells to be around 30.

Sorry to be the voice of dom, but I think the other guy got you on this one. Though if you rolled the dice that Giles will come back 100% and he does, well then you won. High risk-reward, I supposem but I like Wells a LOT this season, if I haven't beaten that into the ground already. Your pitching rocks, but you're pretty weak on the IF with Olerud, Vizquel, Crede/Hinske...the 3B aren't bad, and Crede could bust out as predicted, but Hinske looks lost right now. Olerud doesn't give you typical 1B numbers.....look to trade/upgrade there

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Super GM » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:43 pm

Anybody else? Just gimme your thoughts please....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby sinicalypse » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:00 pm

well you know mine, but to reiterate for everyone else, i generally think trading a young gun for an established bat is a good move. i think i gave you the analogy of trading in your pimped out ford probe GT for a honda civic, figuring the ford has a greater chance to break down sooner (solely statistically, not injury related) than the honda.

that kearns/bagwell trade was a little sweeter, but giles is a top 10-15 player in fantasy baseball, and while vernon wells is nice, especially in leagues that mandate CF, LF, and RF positions as opposed to just OF, brian giles is likely to be better. and if wells goes nuts, you won't lose a whole lot between him and giles.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby ramble2 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:25 pm

I'm a big Wells fan, myself, but I still think this was probably a good trade. You are taking a risk that Giles will play healthy this year. If he does, he should be able to out-perform Wells. But that's not why I like this trade.

I agree with Amnorix, you need IF help. The reason I like this trade is that you should have an easier time trading Giles for a top-line IF than you would with Wells. Wait until Giles has a hot streak, and then try and trade him for some IF help.

Good luck!
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers