Return to Baseball Leftovers

drop moss fossum or ainsworth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kcs261 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:58 pm

I'm going to beat this issue some more. But early in the year, why wouldn't you want three or four potential pitchers? You're basically doubling up on your money, and one or two of these guys will emerge big time. Once you figure out who the legit guys are, and who the pretenders, you can always add crusty, solid vets down the line. But early in the season, I think it's a good idea to have three or four young phenoms. Now, if August rolls around, and you haven't made necessary adjustment, that would be a problem. But it's early. Free free to gamble a bit this time of year. Foppert IS a gamble worth taking -- probably the best gamble out there this season.

So grab Foppert and don't listen to the naysayers. They all seem too hesitant to made bold moves. Also, you've got absolutley nothing to lose with the guys you are talking about dropping.

Regarding the question of why you would want so many SF pitchers, have you noticed their W/L record? Jeesh, why wouldn't you want a SF pitcher is the more appropriate question? No other team in the NL is giving their SPs more run support -- which equal Ws for your team.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:37 pm

kcs261 wrote:Ever hear of Mark Prior and Roy Oswalt?

Look, there's no guarantees about anything in life. But for every Rick Ankiel, you can name a guy who lived up to the hype. The fact is that you don't want to be left out in the cold.

My advice: Grab him, leave him on the bench for a start or two, and see how he does. But if you wait, and he pitches stellar, you're going to be left in the cold.

If he doesn't live up to the hype, no biggee. But at least you prevented somebody else from cashing in by grabbing him. Don't dump somebody great to get him. But Fossum or Moss, why not?

With more thought, I would say dump Fossum. Why is Fossum any better of a risk than Foppert?

Agreed. In a keeper Fopperts gold. Even in a non keeper, he should provide value. There are few minor league sp in the last few years i have liked more then Foppert. In 2 years he could be putting up Oswalt numbers, possibly better. Hes in the best pitchers park, and i beileve he had the best ks per 9 in the minors. He blew threw AA and AAA.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby lucello » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:20 am

I would lean towards Moss as well but I agree Foeppert is getting overhyped much like Harden on Oakland. I have him as well but as a chance. Foosum is eligible for a relief pitcher in most leagues add that to his k's and he isn't bad. ;-D
"Fusilli give me one ping and one ping only"
lucello
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:01 am

kcs261 wrote:So grab Foppert and don't listen to the naysayers. They all seem too hesitant to made bold moves. Also, you've got absolutley nothing to lose with the guys you are talking about dropping.

speaking of... all year long, i'll be reminding a few people in one of my leagues that they laughed at me for drafting prior in the third round.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers