Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lilly for Suppan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lilly for Suppan

Postby point06 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:12 am

How long do you think suppan can stay hot? and would he be better to have?

;-D :-t
point06
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Don't do it... Don't be tempted

Postby drury34 » Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:39 am

What's up Point?

First off, Lilly is a strong starter on an Oakland team that has yet to see Tejada and Chavez really explode.

Second, Suppan looks really attractive right now, but that's because the NL has yet to learn about him. I don't know much about Suppan since I haven't really seen him pitch, but with a career ERA around 5, a 1.4 WHIP, and a career high 128 K's four years ago, he doesn't seem to have that much upside.

Third, Lilly did have some bad numbers with the Yankees, but not everyone can pitch in the Big Apple (read: Ed Whitson). His first year in Oakland was a pretty good one - 21 games, 16 starts, ERA under 4, 1.11 WHIP, and 77k's in 100 IP - not bad.

I say keep Lilly. Suppan could enjoy a better season, and his ERA will go down with the move to the NL, but I just think Lilly is poised for better numbers and more wins. If you had a different pitcher to drop you still might consider Suppan on the off-chance that the league doesn't catch up to him, but some sucker will be sure to gobble him up soon. That sucker's going to grab Lilly if you drop him, too.

Good luck.
drury34
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers