Return to Baseball Leftovers

soriano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:43 am

IMO, Soriano has always been a bit overvalued. He had a couple of great seasons in NY, but that shouldn't amount to being a top-five pick in many leagues like he was. Maybe he'll get back on track next year with a different team, but I've always seen him as a 2-4 round pick.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:13 am

According to the Ft. Worth Star Telegram's Sunday sports section, Soriano said that he wants to play again this year. He said Monday's an off day, so he will see how he feels Tues. or Wed. The front office isn't too sure that he will return, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'd post a link, but I read it in the actual paper.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:36 am

Here we go, Rotoworld is so valuable:

Sep. 19, 2004 - 9:31 am et

Although Alfonso Soriano feels he can return this season, the Rangers are not so sure.
Soriano has a strained left hamstring that is keeping him out of action. "That's not an injury that has pain; it's a lack of power to the muscle," manager Buck Showalter said. Soriano will be examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum, the Angels' team physican, today. "Yesterday there was a lot of pain," Soriano said. "Today it's much better. Tomorrow, get looked at ... Monday is an off-day, see what happens Tuesday or Wednesday." While Soriano is optimistic, we believe that Soriano may not play again this season, so we would seek out another option for the last two weeks of the season.
Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Hope that helps. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby CircleMeBert » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:34 pm

IMO, Soriano has always been a bit overvalued. He had a couple of great seasons in NY, but that shouldn't amount to being a top-five pick in many leagues like he was. Maybe he'll get back on track next year with a different team, but I've always seen him as a 2-4 round pick.

How does finishing in the top 10 on the fantasy player rater for the past two years not make him a first rouder? And then you can throw in the fact that hes a second basemen which makes him a top 5 easily because of position scarcity.

For next year though, im not so sure, i think i take him at the end of the first round.
CircleMeBert
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:42 pm

Is it just me or is he becoming one of the kind of guys who won't really carry you at any point, but has solid numbers at the end of the year. Maybe it was just this year, but he never really carried me but his numbers are pretty decent considering he was hampered with some injuries? Especially for such a shallow position. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby Ender » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:26 am

The majority of players go from good to great when moving out of NY as far as stats, the stress involved with playing in NY is much greater than the stress of moving to a new area. You are insane to say he's overrated because he used to play for NY. He was about 15 pts in avg and 5 HR's lower than what I expected as well as a decent number of RBI though I wasn't sure those would be great to begin with. His steals were low but that was to be expected batting lower in the order. While I agree I'm disappointed with him as a #7 pick in the first round i don't feel it was a bad choice after making it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers