Return to Baseball Leftovers

So...just how ethical are Hail Marys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So...just how ethical are Hail Marys?

Postby warrick95 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:17 pm

Within the rules? Sort of...more of exploiting a loophole, right? I'm doing it this year (probably), but how do you think it stands ethically? I mean, if a league was meant to only pitch 1200 innings, is it right to pitch more than 1200?

I say this because all of the innocent souls in my $ league seem unaware of my devious plot. I picked up like seven starters for Sunday today...and then sent a little trash talk email to a leaguemate.

Read on:

My email:

Dave,

Beginning to feel the pain I've been going through all year with Odalis Perez (king of the ND), Beckett, Prior, etc., with your three starters last night? Two losses and a blown bullpen job. ;)

Andy

His email:

I really want to take you down for all the fatolo jokes and the horrible season halladay had. I underestimated this league and my pitching. If you notice, I lead the league in transactions. I am very impatient with players and always try to play the hot hand. I thought about benching my players to see chicks dig give you a run at the top but I am on your heels in either runs or RBI's so we'll see. I thought it was kinda bush of you to pick up most of the rest of the starters so no one else could grab them. You are pretty much out of innings so I don't see you using them.

Apparently, he doesn't understand what I'm about to do. And if you weren't aware, we cracked on each other all day...I've named my team after Fatolo...Halladay (Helluvaday, Roy!), Valverde (Valvewhere?), etc. "Chicks" is the beginning of the name of the team that's right behind me.

So, back to the point...the Hail Mary. What do y'all think? It's sort of like churning, correct?
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:35 pm

It's fine...... the rules are, the day after you run out of innings, your pitching stats don't count. If your league mates don't realize that, then they don't deserve the money because they didn't do their homework ;-)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:19 pm

Everyone will end up with a different amount of innings pitched even though the cap is X number. Just depends on where they are when they hit the cap. Some will hit it on the nose, some will go 20 innings over. The rules state that all innings pitched on the day you hit the cap count toward final standings, so I see no reason not to take advantage of that rule.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:29 pm

yea seriosuly. I asked this a little while ago, and was thinkiing that yahoo probably gives you that leeway since different starts give up various innings. since you can't predict how many innings a start would take, you are better of letting everyone go over the final day, rather than arbitrarily deciding hwo much a "start" is, then only allowing people to start the final day if their innings exceed it. say you had seven innings and your guy went eight. you are basically forfeiting those last seven, as the start "wouldn't count" -- if you did another day.

sorry for the ramble.

yes I think it is ethical. your league should notice things like that.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby Tavish » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:39 pm

I think there is a difference between 1)having a pitcher (or two) start on the final day with only a couple of innings left that pushes you over the limit and 2)loading up on starting pitchers the day that you will go over. The second one isn't illegal, but does seem unethical to me. It is exploiting a scoring rule that is there for specific reason.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby warrick95 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:45 pm

Well, the rules do support the Hail Mary...

A Public League pitching staff can throw a total of 1250 innings for the season. Once the sum of all innings pitched reaches the 1250 mark, pitchers no longer accumulate stats.

All players active on the day a maximum is reached will receive credit for their stats.

Thanks, guys.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:16 pm

If you find that unethical I feel sorry for you. Just because other people don't realize something doesn't make it unethical. If they asked you, and you said "you can't go more than 5 IP over the limit", that would by lying, and I could see why some might find that unethical. But playing within the rules? Fine by me.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:46 pm

Another ethics question. If this guy does as threatened and benches ALL of his players in order to spite me and help 2nd place a little, that IS wrong, right? I mean, it's your team, but doing that just to screw somebody over? He's tied with me in R, but ahead of 2nd palce by like two RBIs in that category, so he'd be giving 2nd an extra 0.5 roto points if, in fact, he decides to do it (assuming I'd pass in R, 2nd would pass in RBI).
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:52 pm

warrick95 wrote:Another ethics question. If this guy does as threatened and benches ALL of his players in order to spite me and help 2nd place a little, that IS wrong, right? I mean, it's your team, but doing that just to screw somebody over? He's tied with me in R, but ahead of 2nd palce by like two RBIs in that category, so he'd be giving 2nd an extra 0.5 roto points if, in fact, he decides to do it (assuming I'd pass in R, 2nd would pass in RBI).

as far as the hail mary on innings limit day, i have no problem with that....but sitting all of ones players to give another team a chance to win, is not very good in my book......that is very unethical(i think anyways) as the point of fantasy baseball is to do everything you can do to win the league your self, not stopping one person from winning the league...........i hope it does not happen to you warrick.......
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby LBJackal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:56 pm

Well it should be against the rules to harm your team on purpose. It's a childish thing to do. You can tell him your plan if you want, but him being the way he iis he might tell the whole league and you'd lose your advantage.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers