Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs fans, what's the deal with Sosa?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:08 am

When the Rangers were initially trying to move Soriano (reportedly to the Mets) early in the year, the reported reason was to shed his contract to free money for pitching and to eventually re-sign their kids. So why would they want to sign Sosa's sorry butt for all that money? I don't follow the Rangers very closely but at face value that doesn't make much sense.

The Mets are in a similar situation (purely speculation) trying to move Piazza's contract. I don't think they'd want to pick up Sammy's. If Omar's first move as the Mets' GM is signing Sosa I may go to prison... :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:16 am

Amazinz wrote:When the Rangers were initially trying to move Soriano (reportedly to the Mets) early in the year, the reported reason was to shed his contract to free money for pitching and to eventually re-sign their kids. So why would they want to sign Sosa's sorry butt for all that money? I don't follow the Rangers very closely but at face value that doesn't make much sense.

I kinda agree. I'd be upset if my Rangers make this deal because $39.5 million over two years is too much for Sosa. However, Park is due something like $32 million over the final two years of his deal. Basically the Rangers would pick up the extra salary in order to actually get some production from Sammy rather than the usual nothing from Park. It does make some sense, but I think the Rangers can make a better deal than that.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:23 am

OK. I didn't realize Park was making $32M over two years. Wow. The boils down to an extra $7M for Sammy which makes it seem more reasonable.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby swingaway » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:12 am

the only way i see the rangers deal working is if the rangers get some type of pitcher(clement) in the deal along with sosa .
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -20)

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:13 pm

swingaway wrote:the only way i see the rangers deal working is if the rangers get some type of pitcher(clement) in the deal along with sosa .

Clement is a f/a, so I don't think that'll work. Anyway I don't like this trade too much for the Cubs, $3-$4 million more of cap room for next season isn't worth getting a pitcher who is worthless unless they could somehow pawn him off.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:21 pm

Sammy should work on his bat speed. Cubs will have a couple of tough issues to deal with this postseason.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -47)

Postby Tavish » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:36 pm

Front page of the KC Star today mentioned rumors of a Sweeney for Sosa trade talk. Not that I take it serious at all, but thought I would mention it. Why either team would want either one of those players is beyond me. Maybe they would be hoping for a "change of scenery" effect.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:21 pm

Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:40 pm

CHICAGO (AP) -- Sammy Sosa was fined $87,400 -- one day's salary _ for arriving late and leaving early at the Cubs' regular-season finale at Wrigley Field.

Must be nice to make that every day. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers