Return to Baseball Leftovers

My Top Ten for next season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hooligan1 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:37 am

You guys can go ahead and take Prior or Santana in the first round and I'll wait and snag a Ben Sheets or a Mark Mulder or an Oliver Perez as my first pitcher in the fourth or fifth round.......after I've loaded up on stud hitters through the first few rounds!
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:56 am

hooligan1 wrote:You guys can go ahead and take Prior or Santana in the first round and I'll wait and snag a Ben Sheets or a Mark Mulder or an Oliver Perez as my first pitcher in the fourth or fifth round.......after I've loaded up on stud hitters through the first few rounds!

I just said that I would take Santana before Prior. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby giants8307 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:38 am

Good points by all. I do look for consistency when drafting, and that's why pujols is #1. That's why beltre isn't on the list. Was he playing for a contract, i dunno. I don't really want to risk it when arod, chavez, and rolen are out there. That said, perhaps i was hypocritical when i put abreu in there. I think I'll move him down. He's very good, but not consistently a GREAT player. Santana's career as a starter is awesome. I'll take it. Maybe I can move him down, and put soriano in...Regarding bonds, I am a little unsure about him. He hasn't really showed signs of slowing down, but he's so friggin' old. I guess he isn't regarded as a sure-thing anymore, and that's what I'm looking for. A revised list:

1. Pujols

2. Beltran

3. Vlad

4. A-rod

5. Manny

6. Tejada

7. Helton

8. Bonds

9. Santana

10. Soriano

I think I was a little too eager to jump on abreu's 30-40 season. He had been declining the previous 2 years.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Erboes » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:48 am

It's kinda funny that all last off-season I repeated that eveyone should forget Nomar and Renteria and get Tejada later. This off-season I am going to be saying to forget Tejada and go after Renteria later. Why? Because Tejada wasn't a top 12 player this season, so why would anyone think he will be next? Is he going to repeat his numbers next season? Hell no, and he will have to better them to be worth a first round slot. Little known fact: Mora was much more valuable from a fantasy standpoint than Tejada, and Mora missed a month. Don't fall in love with the power numbers, they are very over valued. I got ripped last off-season for my stance and will probably this year too. Reneria is the man next season.

And mark me down as a proponent of getting a stud pitcher. I've gotten in arguments with some of the biggest names in fantasy baseball over this, but a stud starting pitcher is more valuable than a comparable hitter for the simple reason that one pitcher should amount to nearly 20% of your innings, while a hitter tallies 10% of your AB's at best (depending on your league scoring, of course). And, like it was stated by someone, you can have a pitching staff of Johnson and 4 Ted Lilly's and do very well, but you cannot have an offense with Pujols + 9 below average hitters without getting killed. I agree with Jackal that pitchers can get hurt easier than a hitter, but I think the risk is worth taking. By the way, I have yet to see anyone win a league relying entirely on getting pitchers on the cheap. The best method I have seen is to get one stud, a great bullpen, the fill out the rest with cheap pitching.

As for the Santana/Prior debate, I would take Prior. I could be wrong on that, but if someone put a gun to my head that is whom I would choose.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:06 pm

Erboes wrote:This off-season I am going to be saying to forget Tejada and go after Renteria later.

Agreed. ;-D

I think Tejada will go earlier than I want to take him, so I'll be targeting Renteria much later. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:35 pm

O Cab in one of the final rounds could be a good SS pick...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby giants8307 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:11 pm

Tejada's doesn't put up top-12 numbers overall, but he is THE best SS. That's why he's on my list. will renteria be better next year? maybe. But it's not probably given the track records.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby giants8307 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:12 pm

Erboes: i agree about getting a stud and a great bullpen. I've seen that philosophy work well.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Erboes » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:26 pm

Although it is true that Tejada was the best SS this past season, he was only the fifth best in '03 when, as an aside, Renteria was tops (other than A-Rod) and ahead of Tejada by a good $13. There are a number of good SS's out there close in value, but I think Renteria will be the best value and Tejada the worst. Jeter will go where he should be going, so he isn't a great value. Some other solid values should be Furcal, Cabrera, and, yes, Guillen (he is for real). I am undecided about Nomar and Berroa, however. Personally, I would go with a Prior/Santana/Johnson later in the first then Renteria in the fourth than, say, Tejada at that same point in the first and someone like Mussina or Mulder in the fourth. That is just the way I like to do things.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Erboes » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:33 pm

I forgot to add that we will likely be talking about Crawford being in top 12 next season. This season he was right on the cusp and I expect him to break through next year. He should break the .300 barrier with 15 HR's minimum, to go along with his 50 + steals. He should be taken in the second round of any mixed draft, and if anyone lets him go past the third I shall personally slap them.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers