Return to Baseball Leftovers

REDS HOMERS---- help with the 05' outfield

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:54 am

I found out some interesting news on the Reds OF situation. It seems Kearns is down in an Instructional league in Florida and playing 3B. Here is some info regarding it...

By John Fay
staff writer

The Reds are going to try the Austin Kearns-at-third-base experiment after all.

Kearns will go to the Instructional League in Sarasota, Fla., for a 10-day crash course beginning Tuesday.

He's a willing pupil.

"I think if it works out, it can be beneficial to me and the team," Kearns said.

The Reds are open-minded.

"We have no preconceived conclusions whatsoever," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said.

But if it works, it will be a tremendous boon for the Reds. By playing Kearns at third, the Reds could play Ken Griffey Jr. in right field to cut down on the wear and tear to his legs. That would open center field for Wily Mo Pena.

Kearns, Griffey, Pena, Adam Dunn and Sean Casey would give the Reds a tremendous lineup from the third through the seventh spots.

The Reds did not bring up the move to Kearns until after the season.

"I was a little surprised by that," Kearns said. "There had been so much talk of it in the media."

The move was Kearns' choice.

"If he was not motivated to do it, we wouldn't have done it," O'Brien said.

Kearns is coming off an injury-plagued season. He hit .230 with nine home runs and 32 RBI in 64 games. But he played much better late in the year. He hit .254 with six home runs and 19 RBI over his last 36 games. That's a 30-homer/95-RBI clip.

Kearns is confident he'll be able to play at third. He played shortstop and third in high school. His arm is the best on the team, and his baseball instincts are very good for a 24-year-old. Kearns played two games at third in rookie ball.

"Hopefully, I can do it," he said. "It's going to take a lot of work. But I'm willing to try it."
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:33 am

Hmm.......Seems 3B might get even deeper next year if this little plan works out. Thanks for the article. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Ender » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:57 pm

In 2003 Kearns hit .264 with 15 HR's in 82 games before getting hurt. Find it pretty hard to believe he was leading the league with HR's. He hit .303 with 9 HR's in april that year which was a great start... very similar to say Dye and Sanders start this year, and neither of them had great years either. At least wait for Kearns to actually accompish something before suggesting they are going to bench a guy that hit 26 HR's in less than 2/3rds of a season this year for him. Its nowhere near a sure thing.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:01 pm

Ender wrote:In 2003 Kearns hit .264 with 15 HR's in 82 games before getting hurt. Find it pretty hard to believe he was leading the league with HR's. He hit .303 with 9 HR's in april that year which was a great start... very similar to say Dye and Sanders start this year, and neither of them had great years either. At least wait for Kearns to actually accompish something before suggesting they are going to bench a guy that hit 26 HR's in less than 2/3rds of a season this year for him. Its nowhere near a sure thing.

Nope he was hitting over .300 and leading the league in HR's like they said. Your looking at when he stopped playing, not when he was hurt. He played through the injury for a while trying to help the team.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers