Return to Baseball Leftovers

RFK stadium (in Washington DC)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D.C

Postby ATECH » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:21 am

I don't think DC is a tough town to sell sports. Redskins tickets are very hard to get and they haven't won anything in several years. Now if you are talking about the Wiz and Caps, I think they would need a competitive team to draw fans. In todays market, I think people are more selective with there money rather than spend $$$ on watching teams that have no shot at winning before the season even starts. If the Expos stayed in the current MLB owned situation in DC, the team would not last, but put an owner that will spend some money on the team and it will be near impossible to get a ticket.
If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
Then You'll Always Have What You've Already Got.
ATECH
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:26 pm

I don't think that it's a great place for baseball but it's much better than Montreal and it's the best available place right now. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby stumpak » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:54 pm

The new DC team will draw very well, trust me. DC attendees at Orioles games outdraw the Expos as is, now substitute a 10 minute train ride from people's offices for a 90 minute ride in traffic and see how many more people you get. There are a lot of bored childless high-income people around here with nothing better to do with there time and money.

As for RFK, I did a quick search on baseball-reference.com for the ballpark factor in the Senators' last few seasons. For what it is worth, RFK was a pitcher's park back then, but again who knows how things like the fences, visual background and foul territory may be reconfigured. Also consider that the set of ballparks which RFK is being compared against has only a small ammount of commanlity with today's set of AL parks:

1971: 94
1970: 95
1969: 95
1968: 97
1967: 96
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby wkelly91 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:07 pm

Are you factoring in the DH, and the lowering of the mound?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby Tavish » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:54 pm

wkelly91 wrote:Are you factoring in the DH, and the lowering of the mound?

Park factors do that automatically.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:19 pm

Actually D.C. should be pretty good...I am from D.C. and Ill tell you what It was horrible trying to commute to Baltimore to see the Orioles...It takes almost 2 hours to go 40 miles...so I think lots of people are gonna say screw the o's and lets go Senators...Unfortunatley now i live in Denver and the Rockies are pretty terrible...but go Yankees!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers