Return to Baseball Leftovers

There's not enough room in the Expos OF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

There's not enough room in the Expos OF

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:00 am

Assuming Nick Johnson manages to stay healthy this offseason, he'll be starting at 1st base. Wilkerson will then be in the OF.

That leaves just two OF slots for Juan Rivera, Terrmel Sledge, and Endy Chavez.

I looked at their last few box scored and there's not really any indication as to how it will play out. Worst-case scenario might be they all rotate thus severely damaging all their values.

They all have something going for them, Endy Chavez seems to be the best fit at CF, leadoff, and the biggest basestealing threat.

Juan Rivera seemed to be winning some favor with Frank Robinson there at the end of the season and did you know Rivera led the team in batting average at .307?

And finally the feeling I get with Sledge is that people see him as having the highest ceiling. Hmm, after just now looking it up on rotoworld it looks like Rivera is actually one year younger than Sledge and will be that magic age of 26 next year.

Possible sleeper?

I will admit I have some personal investment in this subject as I have Juan Rivera at $1 in my deep keeper league }:-)
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:31 am

I think Terrmel is overrated. He is probabaly a fourth OF at best.
After getting a year to watch him play and looking over his career numbers, you are probably seeing his peek or at least close to it, right now. He only has 56 career minor league homeruns in 5 years, and thats in just over 2000 AB's. His BA projects to a .270 type hitter, and he hasn't given anybody any reason to believe that he will steal bases again. ...

And if Endy Chavez is leading off for Washington next season, they sure as hell aren't going to go anywhere. Hopefully with the move, they can get an increase in season tickets sales early enough to go out and get a CF off the FA market. But if baseball is still running them, I can't see it happening.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:55 am

I think they will all get enough at bats. Has Nick Johnson stayed healthy for one year yet?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:29 pm

wkelly91 wrote:I think they will all get enough at bats. Has Nick Johnson stayed healthy for one year yet?

No but last year was his first attempt at a full-time gig. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:04 am

Lofunzo wrote:
wkelly91 wrote:I think they will all get enough at bats. Has Nick Johnson stayed healthy for one year yet?

No but last year was his first attempt at a full-time gig. :-?

Nick has some sort of weak wrist thing. I posted an article about it before last season started. The docs said he would have wrist problems for his entire career. I'll see what I can do about finding the article.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:22 am

besides Wilkerson, I am staying away from everyone
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -144)

Postby Tavish » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:58 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:besides Wilkerson, I am staying away from everyone

Yep, there is plenty of room left in the Washington (might as well start practicing now) OF. None of the others have really earned a solid starting spot so until one does there will most likely be a platoon/situational rotation between the three. Right now I would guess Sledge is the low man on the totem pole.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Return to Baseball Leftovers