Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Unofficial Sammy Sosa trade rumor thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Unofficial Sammy Sosa trade rumor thread

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:51 am

Royals swat down Sosa trade rumors
kansascitystar wrote:The rumor suggested the Royals would send first baseman Mike Sweeney to the Cubs as the framework of a package to acquire Sosa

Not sure where Slammin Sammy is going, but I don't have a doubt in my mind that he will be getting dealt. I am sure a few of the Cubbies would love to chime in here. Heck, is there even one of you northsiders that even like the guy anymore? He went from Dominican Daddy, to the Corker, to the team cancer, all in 3 years. Wow .. 8-o <- just for AA
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:53 am

Yankee bound :-P
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2783
(Past Year: -13)
Joined: 10 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Looking over your shoulder as you type.

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:02 am

36 and overpaid ...

I was thinking .. the Mets ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Sosa

Postby ATECH » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:13 am

Funny that you say the Mets. Former Mets GM Steve Phillips was on ESPN's Mike and Mike on Friday and said the Mets would be very interested in Sosa and it would make the perfect place for him. Also add to the fact that Minaya and Sosa are great friends.
If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
Then You'll Always Have What You've Already Got.
ATECH
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 111
Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: It's Good Being First

Postby ensanimal » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:29 am

a couple of different rumors in here...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-041005rogers,1,7057435.column?coll=cs-cubs-headlines


it would be good for texas to get rid of chp, but i don't think it would be a good deal letting soriano go too.
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10428
(Past Year: -152)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Re: Sosa

Postby Erboes » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:19 pm

ATECH wrote:Funny that you say the Mets. Former Mets GM Steve Phillips was on ESPN's Mike and Mike on Friday and said the Mets would be very interested in Sosa and it would make the perfect place for him. Also add to the fact that Minaya and Sosa are great friends.


This is why I always rip the Mets. Their idea of building a team is by getting as many big names as they can and hope it works. It doesn't matter who the GM is, it is the same old story. They will end up with either Sosa or Soriano (or maybe both), which would make worse their biggest problem, and that is the inability of anyone on that roster to get on base. For some reason that team has no clue on how to build a winner. Bunch of clowns.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1432
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sosa

Postby Zito is God » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:02 pm

Erboes wrote:
ATECH wrote:Funny that you say the Mets. Former Mets GM Steve Phillips was on ESPN's Mike and Mike on Friday and said the Mets would be very interested in Sosa and it would make the perfect place for him. Also add to the fact that Minaya and Sosa are great friends.


This is why I always rip the Mets. Their idea of building a team is by getting as many big names as they can and hope it works. It doesn't matter who the GM is, it is the same old story. They will end up with either Sosa or Soriano (or maybe both), which would make worse their biggest problem, and that is the inability of anyone on that roster to get on base. For some reason that team has no clue on how to build a winner. Bunch of clowns.


Hey, it works for the Yankees. :-D
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4115
(Past Year: -54)
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Postby Erboes » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:30 pm

The difference between the Yankees and Mets is, the Yankees actually procure players who know how to play the game. Both Sheffield and A-Rod, for example, get on base, but who do the Mets get? Players like Cedeno and Hidalgo, that's who. And it's not unique to the Mets either. The Cubs are sitting there with some obvious holes on their team, namely a hitter who could work the count, get on base, and play some little ball when needed, so who do they get? Nomar Garciaparra. If they got Cabrera instead they would be in the playoffs right now, of that I have no doubt. The Red Sox, another team I can't stand, know what they are doing. Getting rid of Nomar was the best thing they could have done and because of it they have a good chance of winning it all this season. It pains me to say it, but I really like what they have done.

Sorry guys, but this is one of those pet issues of mine. I shall shut up now.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1432
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:22 pm

wrveres wrote:36 and overpaid ...

I was thinking .. the Mets ;-)


Not yet. In another year or so when he is injury prone and averaging 20-70, then the Mets will go after him. ;-7

I really don't see why anyone would want him and his salary. :-?
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23082
(Past Year: -616)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby jsmith378 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:19 pm

i think sweeney is staying in KC, and obviously sosa has to get traded somewhere
jsmith378
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 179
(Past Year: -7)
Joined: 10 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: KC

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests