Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the D-Rays be spenders?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lou Dog

Postby Ballwreckers » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:05 pm

Lou is not completly sold that Tampa will go out and spend this season and if they don't he will most likely jump ship to the Mets or maybe somewhere else. He has done well with the crew he has had to work with, but that won't be enough to keep his interest. Tampa needs to show some commitment by spending money on a starter or to be more competative and thats all Lou wants is to have a team that will be a threat on a day to day basis than in small doses.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:55 am

godallahstar wrote:I don't know, Hybrid. I don't like koskie much, at least as a d-rays fan that lives in MN. He's meh, I think the rays need a catcher, but i'm not exactly sure how they should go about it. I do agree that maybe Brad Radke could help the team. He's not fantastic but his veteran presence would at least in theory, be a very emphatic and positive addition to the young team.

Also, Do you happen to have a website/blog or anything of the sorts?

I think i'm going to make the jump into the already oversaturated pool of baseball blogs. I may PM you or IM you (if you have AIM) with some questions sometime, if that's okay.

godallahstar, I agree on Koskie, I don't like him to much either. But he is the best option out of what the guy lists in his article (notice I said he was only a decent option heh). I don't mind Hall as the Rays catcher, he has been improving steadily. Radke would be a very good addition though I'm not sure he would consider coming to TB, but the Rays need a solid #3 type of pitcher (who would obviously be their #1).

Also, funny that you bring up baseball blogs. I used to have one a little bit ago, but due to class/work I had to give it up. I have a website but it is my portfolio basically, not baseball related. Anyways I mentioned it was funny you brought it up cause I have been thinking of starting up a new baseball blog recently. If you ever want to chat my AIM is in my profile, feel free to IM me sometime.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby hybrid » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:03 am

stumpak wrote:Where is the potential for them to have a very good team? The pitching is simply horrific--yes they have some young guys, but aside from Kazmir they are low ceiling junkballers who will be lucky to one day become servicable back of the rotation guys and you can't reasonably expect Kazmir to carry the staff next season. They have some all decent hitters, but nothing that will get you to .500 with pitching that crappy. They could bring in Babe Ruth to bat behind Huff but they would still be 10 games out by June. They have a foundation to build a playoff team in a couple of years if they double their payroll, but they are a team that will be able to win without injecting outside talent a la the 2002 Twins.

As long as they sign Niemann, they should of a heck of a 1-2 punch with Kazmir/Niemann in the future. Braz I think could turn into a solid middle of the rotation pitcher, then we just need a few to finish off the rotation. Our minor league system while it isn't loaded by any means with SP's, we do have a few talented pitchers. Not to mention we have an overstock in OFs, which one way or another will have to be traded eventually. If our management can make another good trade (something they don't always do) we could land a some talent at pitcher.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Lou Dog

Postby hybrid » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:13 am

Ballwreckers wrote:Lou is not completly sold that Tampa will go out and spend this season and if they don't he will most likely jump ship to the Mets or maybe somewhere else. He has done well with the crew he has had to work with, but that won't be enough to keep his interest. Tampa needs to show some commitment by spending money on a starter or to be more competative and thats all Lou wants is to have a team that will be a threat on a day to day basis than in small doses.

They had a meeting and decided the payroll will expand from 23 million this year to possibly 35 next year (read my post above). Also Lou has said he is not going anywhere and is staying put.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:19 am

d rays spenders? does that mean the jays will finish last again? :~(

i agree with tlef316. those are pretty good players. lots of speed in the bases, if only they could get some more picthers...that streak they had during the season this year winning what? 8, 9 games in a row? was pretty impressive and if that is an indication of things to come, the future does look bright
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby grammysboy » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:50 am

A name that hasn't shown up in this discussion so for is Lugo. Is he destined to be a utility IF giving way to Upton, or will be be the new 2B? The little guy had 40 doubles and 75 RBI this season. Any thoughts from the TB faithful?
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -108)

Postby hybrid » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:18 pm

I believe it was actually 12 games they won in a row. Also on Lugo, it appears he is staying at SS for next year and Upton will be manning 3B.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:05 pm

I get a couple of mid-level starters and a bullpen arm or two and try turning things into 6 inning games with a solid bullpen. They're never going to spend enough to get top level starters.

The stadium isn't awful, but when you're faced with the choice of going to the beach or indoors to a baseball game, it really isn't a difficult decision. I've been to a few games at the Trop. It is what it is.

Ability to watch baseball outdoors during beautiful March weather doesn't help drawing power. Most guys I've talked to don't believe Florida can support 2 teams for this very reason. So far, I've seen nothing to dispute that.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers