Return to Baseball Leftovers

Astros Rotation for the NLCS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Astros Rotation for the NLCS

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:11 pm

What are the chances Houston starts Clemens on 3 days rest again? If not it would be Clemens in game 3 and Oswalt in game 4. Then if there is a game 6 or 7 Clemens and Oswalt go on 3 days rest. CBS is showing Munro in game 1 and Backe in game 2.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:26 pm

Clemens/Oswalt in Games 2/3, and 5/6 would make sense to me. That way Oswalt gets 4 days rest for his first start, and Clemens gets 3 days rest for both starts. Clemens I see as more durable and able to go on 3 days rest. I'd throw Backe out there for games 1, 4, and 7. He was pretty good down the stretch, and I wouldn't trust Munro. Of course if he bombs the first time out, Munro might get a shot for game 4. Too bad they don't have Pettitte or Wade Miller, that would make things a LOT easier.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:29 pm

I don't think the Astros can send Clemens out on short rest yet again...I expect to see Backe in game 1, Munro/Hernandez in game 2, Clemens 3, and Oswalt 4. And yeah, that's one ugly rotation without Pettitte and Miller.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:03 pm

slomo007 wrote:I don't think the Astros can send Clemens out on short rest yet again...I expect to see Backe in game 1, Munro/Hernandez in game 2, Clemens 3, and Oswalt 4. And yeah, that's one ugly rotation without Pettitte and Miller.

this is the way i see it as well...i imagine we dont see clemens again til game 3.......
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby bleach168 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:22 pm

Currently, Yahoo has this rotation posted:

Game 1 - Backe (3 days rest)
Game 2 - Clemens (3 days rest)
Game 3 - Oswalt (full rest)
Game 4 - Backe (3 days rest)
Game 5 - Clemens (3 days rest)
Game 6 - Oswalt (3 days rest)
Game 7 - Backe (3days rest)

So 86% of the time, the pitcher is on short rest. So far, when Garner has used a pitcher on short rest, that pitcher has only gone 5 innings. If Garner uses this rotation, you're looking at a lot of work for their bullpen which is a huge weakness for the Astros.

If I was Garner, this is what I would do:

Game 1 - Munro (too much rest)
Game 2 - Backe (full rest)
Game 3 - Clemens (full rest)
Game 4 - Oswalt (full rest)
Game 5 - Backe (3 days rest)
Game 6 - Clemens (3 days rest)
Game 7 - Oswalt (3 days rest)

Oswalt and Clemens still get 2 starts for the series while most of the rotation will be rested. Clemens and Oswalt would be pushed to the brink of exhaustion in games 6 and 7 if necessary. Just don't trust that bullpen!
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby NZF » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:03 pm

Using Munro in game 1 and Backe in game 2 could dig the Astros into a big hole. They have to go with Clemens on 3 days rest again.

Munro and Backe would undoubtedly be the weakest 1-2 punch in the history of any LCS.

An interesting sidelight is that the Astros are now the only remaining team with a left handed starter in their rotation. Is it something like 12 years since Toronto last won the WS without one?
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:41 pm

Whose their left-handed starter? Pettitte isn't on the roster I don't think.

And the Jays had Jimmy Key in 92 and Al Leiter in 93. Not sure if they made starts in the playoffs though.... I know Jimmy Key did (tipped his cap as he was taken out of his last game), but not sure about Leiter. I don't remember him, so probably not.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:35 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:Using Munro in game 1 and Backe in game 2 could dig the Astros into a big hole. They have to go with Clemens on 3 days rest again.

backe has pitched well against the cards this year. pitching him on full rest in game two might give the stros a better chance of earning a split than going with clemens and oswalt in 1&2 which would be their second consecutive start on short rest. i dont know what pitchers' stats are on second consecutive start on short rest but i bet it isnt too good.

if backe wins game two then the stros have clemens and oswalt on full rest and going at home where they have both pitched brilliantly this year.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby swingaway » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:42 pm

pitching is goign to mean squat in this series theres are goign to be high scoring games. I mean do the cards have a true 1 starter.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -20)

Postby NZF » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:56 pm

LBJackal wrote:Whose their left-handed starter? Pettitte isn't on the roster I don't think.

And the Jays had Jimmy Key in 92 and Al Leiter in 93. Not sure if they made starts in the playoffs though.... I know Jimmy Key did (tipped his cap as he was taken out of his last game), but not sure about Leiter. I don't remember him, so probably not.

Hernandez is in the Astros playoff rotation.

Jays in 1993 were the last team to win the WS without a leftie in their starting rotation. Leiter won game 1 but only ever pitched in relief the whole series.

Maybe the Astros should go with Hernandez in Game 1 instead of Munro then. Got to be a good omen if nothing else.
Last edited by NZF on Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers