Return to Baseball Leftovers

Of the four left....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ensanimal » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:13 pm

Amazinz wrote:Sorry, didn't mean more important. Obviously his wins in the WS were much more important. But I don't think they were the pressure-cooker environment that last night was.

so, game 7 of the ws isn't pressure cooker enough? :-?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -152)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:05 pm

Amazinz wrote:Despite Schilling's fantastic post-season record, I would say that he never pitched in a game this "big". And yes I'm including the Arizona World Series victory over the Yankees which was about as exciting as root canal. :-D

The smiley means you were joking correct? if not, you watched a different series. Other than that I'm totally in agreement with everything you've said in this thread including Chilly shutting his mouth and also him never pitching in a bigger game. This matchup is like none other in baseball.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)

Postby NZF » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:07 pm

I've got an incredible amount of respect for Schillings post season record, but I agree with Amazinz that Schilling and alot more people besides, knew just how important it was for the Red Sox to win game 1. That game was huge. It was always going to set the tone for the whole series.

Despite the Red Sox gutsy comeback, by knocking Schilling out of the game like they did, the Yankees now take a huge psychological advantage into the remaining games.

I cannot believe that if his ankle was so bad, he would stay out there for as long as he did.

BTW, who thinks that a little bit of Pedro would have enjoyed seeing Schilling get hammered like that ;-7 It will be interesting to see how he pitches today. The latest I've heard is that he may have flu like symptoms.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

Postby perlick29 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:17 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:I've got an incredible amount of respect for Schillings post season record, but I agree with Amazinz that Schilling and alot more people besides, knew just how important it was for the Red Sox to win game 1. That game was huge. It was always going to set the tone for the whole series.

Despite the Red Sox gutsy comeback, by knocking Schilling out of the game like they did, the Yankees now take a huge psychological advantage into the remaining games.

I cannot believe that if his ankle was so bad, he would stay out there for as long as he did.

BTW, who thinks that a little bit of Pedro would have enjoyed seeing Schilling get hammered like that ;-7 It will be interesting to see how he pitches today. The latest I've heard is that he may have flu like symptoms.

Are they making excuses for him already? ;-)
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:29 pm

Amazinz wrote:Sorry, didn't mean more important. Obviously his wins in the WS were much more important. But I don't think they were the pressure-cooker environment that last night was.

i would think :-? pretty much know(even though i have never been there) that game 7 of the world series against the 3 time defending champs on 3 days rest would be much, much, much, much more of a pressure game than game 1 of the ALCS....and even though he ran his mouth quite a bit before the game last nite, he still gets another shot at them and may be able to back up his talk then.... game 7 of world series is it, nothing again til next year.......game 1 of ALCS there is definitely going to be a 2,3, and 4.......

but i do think for the red sox to win this series now that schillings aura is diminshed more than a little, pedro needs to be spectactular tonite....
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:59 pm

Don't know if anybody saw the press conferance..... but they went over the extent of Schilling's injury. The ligament came back out of place sometime after the first inning. Maybe it's true, maybe they're exaggerating, I don't know. But that would explain things. It doesn't excuse Schilling's remarks, but it explains things.

They said the brace they used held the ligament in place for warmups throughout the week and before the game, but live game action made it pop back out. They're going to work with him and see if they can fix it again, hopefully better this time, but it's very possible he's done for the year and will require surgery. Apparently, the only player who could possibly play through an injury like this is a RHP.

I think this would explain why Schilling wasn't as dominant as he has been in the past during the playoffs. Either that or maybe the pressure of facing the Yanks in Game 1 of the ALCS is greater than it was facing the Yanks in Game 7 of the World Series ;-7

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:05 pm

ensanimal wrote:no one wants to rank the catchers? :-?

Didn't mean to leave out the catchers. :-D Varitek for me. I would have taken Renteria for SS but figured I'd be called out for being a homer. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:28 pm

I think there was less pressure in the WS because they were severe underdogs. Nobody took them seriously and although the dynamic duo received media coverage most of it was focused on the Yankees.

I think the Sox/Yankees series is personal between the players and it's amplified by the media attention. Consider last year. The Yankee/Red Sox series received far more attention than the World Series! This year the Cardianls and Astros series is but an afterthought.

On top of that Schilling opened his mouth and made a statement he could not back up.

So yes there was more pressure in this game then there was in the World Series.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Tavish » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:28 pm

LBJackal wrote:I think this would explain why Schilling wasn't as dominant as he has been in the past during the playoffs. Either that or maybe the pressure of facing the Yanks in Game 1 of the ALCS is greater than it was facing the Yanks in Game 7 of the World Series ;-7

Red Sox's defense vs. D-Back's defense also played a small role. Schilling was getting hit harder for sure, but he wasn't exactly getting stellar help behind him.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:55 pm

He also had a torn tendon in his ankle. I'm sure that played a big part in his bad outing.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers