Return to Baseball Leftovers

RIVERA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RIVERA

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

With the latest news about Rivera's family, I was reminded of something that he did in January, 2002, a few months after 9/11. It might not seem like much but this is truly consistent with the class that he has shown for the past 10 seasons.

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/ ... eam_id=mlb

Rivera honors true heroes
Mo honors New York firemen at Baseball Writers' Association of America dinner
By Ian Browne
MLB.com

2001 awards coverage

NEW YORK -- It was a little less than three months ago that the normally superhuman Mariano Rivera suffered the most gutwrenching blown save of his life, costing the New York Yankees Game 7 of the World Series. Just as Rivera proved that he really was human on that warm November evening in Phoenix, the classy righty showed just how human he was again Sunday night.

Only this time, his actions received universal applause from the New Yorkers who were on hand to witness it.

At the annual awards dinner held by the New York Chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America, Rivera was presented with the American League's Rolaids Relief "Fireman of the Year" honor. Only Rivera gave that trophy away a lot quicker than he surrendered Game 7 to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

"I want to present this trophy to the true saviors, the true closers ... the Rescue Department of New York City, they are deserving of this honor," said Rivera. "They were an inspiration for us. I'd like to present this to Mr. Tom Von Essen."

Von Essen stepped down as Fire Commissioner of New York City on Dec. 31. But thanks to Rivera, he will be making a return visit to his office this week.

"On behalf of all the firefighters in New York City, I thank you for this Mariano," said Von Essen, after taking the hand-off from Rivera. "It's wonderful. I'll make sure it gets to the fire department (Monday). Thank you very very much."

With that heartfelt gesture, Rivera drew a thunderous applause from a packed gathering at the Sheraton New York in Manhattan. It was a fitting tribute to sum up a season that ended up being about so much more than just baseball in New York, following the tragic terrorist attacks of Sept. 11.

Rivera's gesture moved his peers, and even a certain New York Met.

"Obviously I'm not a voter, but I'd like to nominate Mariano Rivera for next year's Good Guy Award for his incredible and gracious act," said Mike Piazza, after receiving the New York Chapter's "Good Guy" award.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheAbreu » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:06 pm

Rivera's pure class. Religious and a firm believer in his faith. Reminds me of President Bush. Maybe that's why I like Bush so much.

Another thing I love about Rivera is the class he represents when he records a save. Instead of acting all flamboyant and throwing his fist and screaming, he usually just handles himself like business as usual. Got to love it
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby perlick29 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:07 pm

I've met Mariano a couple times through a friend. He is one of the nicest people, not just ballplayers I've ever met. What he has done for Panama and the NY community is deserving of a medal.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:21 pm

perlick29 wrote:I've met Mariano a couple times through a friend. He is one of the nicest people, not just ballplayers I've ever met. What he has done for Panama and the NY community is deserving of a medal.

Maybe me, you, your friend, and your friend's friend can hang out. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:31 pm

HAHA, good one I'll have my people call your people on that one.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:33 pm

mariano is definitely one of the classiest players in the bigs for sure....just too bad he does not get the attention that he so much deserves for the yanks great run the past 9 years.....imo, rivera (not steinbrenner, not torre, not jeter, not bernie) is the #1 reason why the yanks have been as dominant as they have been the last decade.... because u know when u play them it really is only a 7 inning game most nights......
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:46 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:mariano is definitely one of the classiest players in the bigs for sure....just too bad he does not get the attention that he so much deserves for the yanks great run the past 9 years.....imo, rivera (not steinbrenner, not torre, not jeter, not bernie) is the #1 reason why the yanks have been as dominant as they have been the last decade.... because u know when u play them it really is only a 7 inning game most nights......

I could see why you would say that. He is a quiet mean who just does his job. That said, in Yankeeland, he gets the credit that he deserves. ;-D
Lofunzo

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:53 pm

TheAbreu wrote:Another thing I love about Rivera is the class he represents when he records a save. Instead of acting all flamboyant and throwing his fist and screaming, he usually just handles himself like business as usual. Got to love it

That's why I like him so much. I'm by no means a Yankee fan but I always liked that about Petitte and Rivera, they seemed like genuinely good guys playing the game the right way. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby cafe_58 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:20 pm

I've only started watching baseball the last couple years, but Rivera is such a great guy from what i've seen. I wish him nothing but luck, and send my condolences to him and his family.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:00 am

best closer in baseball and a hell of a guy
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -53)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers