Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching and "Block Ball" Help, proper stance...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching and "Block Ball" Help, proper stance...

Postby Solidroller » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:10 pm

Hi, I was a pitcher(hard ball) and everytime I'd throw to try to get someone out who was leading off base, the ump would yell "Block Ball".

Does anyone have some info on proper stances for pitchers to avoid this?
Solidroller
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:12 pm

I'm not sure what you are asking? Was a balk called?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Solidroller » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:15 pm

Yes, a ball was called for each block ball. It has to do with pitching stance.
Solidroller
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:18 pm

There is no such thing as a "block ball". It sounds like a balk was called. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/rule8.shtml
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:20 pm

Is Rico the ump in your league?? :-b

Seriously, I have no idea. It sounds like a balk but I'm not sure. I would try asking the ump or your coach.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Solidroller » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:21 pm

Thats it! THANKS!
Solidroller
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:52 pm

Solidroller wrote:Thats it! THANKS!

No problem. If it is a balk, just make sure that when you are in the stretch, you come to a complete stop in the set position and then throw towards the plate. If you are throwing to 1st, make sure that your feet are off of the mound when throwing over. What usually happens is a righty will almost jump and spin off of the mound in a counter-clockwise position so that you are facing first when you throw over. For a lefty, it is much easier as they really just have to take their left foot off of the mound.

Good luck and welcome. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:56 pm

Lofunzo wrote:No problem. If it is a balk, just make sure that when you are in the stretch, you come to a complete stop in the set position and then throw towards the plate. If you are throwing to 1st, make sure that your feet are off of the mound when throwing over. What usually happens is a righty will almost jump and spin off of the mound in a counter-clockwise position so that you are facing first when you throw over. For a lefty, it is much easier as they really just have to take their left foot off of the mound.

You don't have to take your foot off the pitching rubber to make a throw to a base. You just can't make a motion towards homeplate and then throw over.

Some leagues do use modified rules so there could be many different reasons the umpire was calling a balk. I would either talk with an umpire before the game to see know the groundrules or try and get ahold of a league rulebook.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:04 pm

Tavish wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:No problem. If it is a balk, just make sure that when you are in the stretch, you come to a complete stop in the set position and then throw towards the plate. If you are throwing to 1st, make sure that your feet are off of the mound when throwing over. What usually happens is a righty will almost jump and spin off of the mound in a counter-clockwise position so that you are facing first when you throw over. For a lefty, it is much easier as they really just have to take their left foot off of the mound.

You don't have to take your foot off the pitching rubber to make a throw to a base. You just can't make a motion towards homeplate and then throw over.

Some leagues do use modified rules so there could be many different reasons the umpire was calling a balk. I would either talk with an umpire before the game to see know the groundrules or try and get ahold of a league rulebook.

Then why do pitchers even take the time to step off?? It would seem to me instead of a lefty stepping back with the left foot, it would be easier and quicker if he just threw over to 1st while his foot was still on the mound.
Lofunzo

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:08 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Then why do pitchers even take the time to step off?? It would seem to me instead of a lefty stepping back with the left foot, it would be easier and quicker if he just threw over to 1st while his foot was still on the mound.

Because when they take the foot off the rubber they can do a snap throw. If they leave the foot on the rubber they must step in that direction. You will see both ways done quite abit.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers