Return to Baseball Leftovers

Green traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Green traded

Postby kentx12 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:40 pm

Espn reporting that The Diamondbacks and Dogers have agreed to a trade but that is all they are saying.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:46 pm

Woohoo..sounds like Green could be in for a big year.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby mtarail » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:47 pm

D-Backs get Green and 8 million in exchange for Navarro, contingent on D-Backs signing Green to an extension because, I believe, Green has a no-trade clause.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1957984

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, on the D-Backs side. They overpay for 2 FA's, one of whom is a huge injury risk, then give up a solid prospect for a risky veteran and cash. :-?

I'd like that deal a lot better if they stood pat with the Yankees-Johnson deal or if they got Penny from the Dodgers instead of $$.
Last edited by mtarail on Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:48 pm

It's a bad deal for AZ in my opinion, but then again so wer the Glaus and Ortiz signings. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby stumpak » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:02 pm

Getting anything more than a sack of baseballs for Green is a great deal for the Dodgers. Yes, they will have no offense next year, but is not like Green's washed up bat would have been the difference maker in terms of making the playoffs. I would much rather have a good C prospect and the money to spend.

And at the expense of sounding like the Vazquez hating Yankees fans on this board, I have no faith Green will turn it around Arizona. The evidence is perponderent that he is broken goods, due to the shoulder or something else. He may still be an servicable 4th OF, but I wouldn't value him any higher than that.

By giving him an extension, Arizona could have a trifecta of jackass off season moves (Green, Glaus and Ortiz) were it not for the Benson signing.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:48 pm

Shawn Green is a class act. One of the most professional hitters/players in MLB. Sure, the Dodgers overpaid him (by quite a bit), but let's face it, he put up solid numbers throughout most of his tenure in Los Angeles. I wish him the best of luck, and I think this trade benefits all parties involved (except for the D-backs, but who cares about them?).

;-D Good luck Shawn, thanks for the memories! ;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby RynMan » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:39 pm

Seems to me that now the Dodgers have saved all this cash on Green's salary, they gotta go spend some money on offense. There was one guy.....name started with B.....ah cant remember. :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:04 pm

I don't see Beltran going to LA, but I also have no insight into the world of baseball and the GM's don't keep me in the loop like they used too.

What the hell is Arizona doing? Why give up prospects to get Green? They aren't going to compete this year, IMO they should have just collected young talent and take another bad year. Get your young'uns some experience, do some trades in the offseason and hope to compete later. I bet about a month before one of AZ's big sluggers goes down.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby so0perspam » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:19 pm

RAmst23 wrote:I don't see Beltran going to LA, but I also have no insight into the world of baseball and the GM's don't keep me in the loop like they used too.

What the hell is Arizona doing? Why give up prospects to get Green? They aren't going to compete this year, IMO they should have just collected young talent and take another bad year. Get your young'uns some experience, do some trades in the offseason and hope to compete later. I bet about a month before one of AZ's big sluggers goes down.

I'll disagree with you on this one. The main prospect involved in the Green deal is Dioner Navarro, and I don't think he's the kind of "young talent" that you should be depending on to "compete later". Sure he is a solid contact hitter, but he has holes in his defensive game (only threw 33% of baserunners, game-calling skills) and has no pop whatsoever. Plus the D'Backs already have Chris Synder .... who is expected to take over at catcher soon, can hit the long ball, and is very solid across the board defensively. Not to mention .... Green is a good, solid hitter whom I expect to bounce back nicely in Arizona.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -75)

Postby esm » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:24 pm

The Dodgers' own, Frank Court?, is cash strapped. He's got DePodesto holding a fire sale. For some reason they are also dumping the most populsr Dodgers, LaDuca, Green, Beltran, Mota, Cora, Itzuris, and Finley (he made quite an impression in just a few months.

Now the Orange County Angels smell blood and want to make big inroads in the LA market, so they dug out those old Los Angeles Angeles uniforms.

Even with his lousy 1st half in 2004, Shawn Green hit 28 home runs. He's hit 281 in 12 years (avg. 30/yr.) In the past 7 years in has played in at least 153 games each season.

Getting out of Dodger Stadium will allow him to top the 40 HR mark in 2005.

Green is a class act. Too bad I can no longer say the same thing about the Dodgers.
3andOut: Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
esm
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers