Return to Baseball Leftovers

Green traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby so0perspam » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:10 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Maggs for one.

I highly doubt they couldve gotten Maggs .... He's going to the Orioles or Mets most likely.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -75)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:18 am

JDD wrote:Thank goodness my Dodgers have Choi to play first base... :-°

No, really, what in the heck is going on in LA... :-?

I would say salary dump, but the signing of Kent and Drew baffles me. I would have thought that the first person to go would have been Bradley. I guess nobody wants a player with handcuffs on.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby mtarail » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:47 am

wrveres wrote:Since Vaz is coming with a check in his pocket too ..

Arizona is getting

Vaz
Green
and Halsey ..

For basically the same price they were paying a 42 year old Randy Johnson.

Talk about Selling High.. ;-D

The Big Units' contract was for 16 million--and they had no realistic chance of resigning him for anything less than that, since he wants another ring.

If you subtract the cash from the Green contract, AZ is still paying him 8 million this year, plus they'll be obligated to the extension, which I'm guessing will be around $10 mill/year.

Unless Arizona gets a steal of a deal on their contract extension with Green (and based on the $$ they've handed over to Glaus and Ortiz this looks unlikely), I think this Green signing is gonna hurt them and tie them up financially more than it will help them.

I agree with you that the Unit-Vaz deal was smart for the D-Backs. But this LA deal looks to me like they're jumping right back into quicksand.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:00 am

I still cannot believe that everybody is so down on Green. Here is a 32 year old OF with a career .500 slg, leaving one of the premier pitchers parks in all of baseball and going to one of the premier hitters parks. I thought this was a fantasy board? :-?

While I am at it ..

name me another NL West team with guys batting 3,4,5 that have a batter career SLG pct than Green/Gonzo/Glaus.

Giants? No
Rockies? No
Padres? No
Dodgers? lol ... certainly not ...

Now all they need is a healthy bullpen and a leadoff hitter .. oh and maybe another starter or two ... But who knows what they are going to get when they spin off Vaz in a trade. The Diamondbacks may not win the West, but they are certainly better off than they were 3 months ago. Thats a pretty powerful Left, Right, Left combo there
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby mtarail » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:13 am

2 points.

1) Green--2 utterly mediocre seasons in a row. He's been a mediocre 1st half hitter for quite awhile, but now the mediocrity is full-time.

2) Green may get his power stroke back. Personally, I doubt it, even at the BOB. Gonzo's #'s have been in steady decline since 2002 AND he's coming off of surgery and rehab. Glaus has been hurt the last 2 years.

If everyone can stay healthy and several guys have bounce back years, then the D-Backs have an intriguing team on paper. But I don't like the odds on that....
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:08 am

wrveres wrote:I still cannot believe that everybody is so down on Green. Here is a 32 year old OF with a career .500 slg, leaving one of the premier pitchers parks in all of baseball and going to one of the premier hitters parks. I thought this was a fantasy board? :-?

While I am at it ..

name me another NL West team with guys batting 3,4,5 that have a batter career SLG pct than Green/Gonzo/Glaus.

Giants? No
Rockies? No
Padres? No
Dodgers? lol ... certainly not ...

Now all they need is a healthy bullpen and a leadoff hitter .. oh and maybe another starter or two ... But who knows what they are going to get when they spin off Vaz in a trade. The Diamondbacks may not win the West, but they are certainly better off than they were 3 months ago. Thats a pretty powerful Left, Right, Left combo there

Finally, some support. I agree with you completely....they may not win the NL West but I definitely think they'll be better than last year, and they'll probably even be in the playoff race come September.

Terrero could easily blossom into a leadoff hitter...so if they can just stay healthy, and maybe sign a decent reliever, they would take the division IMO.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:24 am

wrveres wrote:Now all they need is a healthy bullpen and a leadoff hitter .. oh and maybe another starter or two ... But who knows what they are going to get when they spin off Vaz in a trade. The Diamondbacks may not win the West, but they are certainly better off than they were 3 months ago. Thats a pretty powerful Left, Right, Left combo there
The Mets are also better off than they were 3 months ago but both teams are trying to fix it now instead of building a better team. Short term gains and long term damage.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby ayebatter » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:00 pm

JDD wrote:Thank goodness my Dodgers have Choi to play first base... :-°

No, really, what in the heck is going on in LA... :-?

Choi -Oh boy - maybe Depo can get Magglio to play 1st :-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby Sunspot » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:38 pm

I can't believe the slanted opinions on here. The Diamondbacks have improved greatly from a year ago. What team has improved more than them this off season. They had good pitching last year, with no offense. There record sucked overall. Now they have a better staff overall than last year. Vasquez is nowhere near as bad as last year and will lead that staff. Webb is an excellent #2 and Ortiz is better than most teams third man. Then look how much better their offense is now. I don't know what order they will go with but Glaus, Green, and Gonzalez will be a dynamic threesome. Green is not washed up, like some think, if he can hit 45 homers in LA he could hit 45 in Arizona. Green at 1B, Clayton and Cintron up the middle is solid defensively and Cintron is better than he showed last year. Glaus at 3B, Kata, Hairston and Tracy have plenty of upside off the bench. Valverde and Aquino are solid in the pen. Don't get me wrong, this team has holes: CF, RF, 4th Starter, Middle Relief, but I expect much more from them than last year. Oh yea, how can I forget what Craig Councel brings to the table.....Character? I just rememberd the last time I wrote something like this. I was saying how suprising the Expos could be last year with Vidro, Cabrera, Batista, Everett, and Nick Johnson. Well things can look so much better on paper I guess, please disregaurd all that BS I just said about the Backs, I probably jinxed them anyway.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:39 pm

What year is this, 1999? Glaus, Green and Gonzalez are overrated and the Diamondbacks have gotten screwed silly this off season. Yes they have improved, but probably not enough to make the playoffs and at an enormous cost in terms of dollars. Even the Mets have never really put together an offseason this bad.

Glaus: Significant recent injury history, only one really good season and a career .250 hitter. Yes, he will belt 50 HRs IF HEALTHY, but that is about it.

Green: Washed up. Who knows why, but there is more going on there than Dodger Stadium. It may be the shoulder, who knows. He hit 33% more HRs AT HOME last season and hit 26 points higher AT HOME. In 2003 he hit more HRs AT HOME as well. The BOB will not be a salvation to him.

Gonzalez: Injury, injury, injury. One big year to inflate people's impression of him. Old and declining.

Basically you are insane if you think that this is an elite line-up. You might as well have Albert Belle and Ken Griffy Jr. on your team as well.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers