so0perspam wrote:Third thread :-B .

Really? I didn't see them listed. }:-)
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:06 pm

Finally Ryno gets in, but once again no respect for relievers. Lets just hope the veterans committe can get Ron Santo in before he DIES.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby ironman » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:06 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:Lets just hope the veterans committe can get Ron Santo in before he DIES.

Amen to that! ;-D
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -157)

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:07 am

I've always liked both players. I'm glad they made it
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Rkiivs » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:12 am

Yay, the first Devil Ray!
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member
(Past Year: -25)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:18 am

ironman wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Lets just hope the veterans committe can get Ron Santo in before he DIES.

Amen to that! ;-D

As a season-ticket-holding Cub diehard, I dissent. Santo was very good, but not great. The HOF doesn't need to start giving out participation trophies like the rest of our comfort-the-loser society is doing.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby LCBOY » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:26 pm

RugbyD wrote:
ironman wrote:

Amen to that! ;-D

As a season-ticket-holding Cub diehard, I dissent. Santo was very good, but not great. The HOF doesn't need to start giving out participation trophies like the rest of our comfort-the-loser society is doing.

Do you realize that Santo is one of the top 6-8 greatest 3B of all time? He rates extemely high when compared to all the other great 3B in history. Even if you rate as the #8 3B all-time, he is easily still a HoF. He played his prime in the 60s which was a pitching dominated era. This supressed his career numbers. If he had played in the 1920s, 1930s, or the 1990s he'd have totally different numbers. Plus he played great defense. Just my $0.02. ;-D
Last edited by LCBOY on Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)

Postby ironman » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:39 pm

LCBOY wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
ironman wrote:

Amen to that! ;-D

Do you realize that Santo is one of the top 6-8 greatest 3B of all time? He rates extemely high when compared to all the other great 3B in history. Even if you rate as the #8 3B all-time, he is easily still a HoF. He played his prime in the 60s was was a pitching dominated era. This supressed his career numbers. If he had played in the a920s, 1930s or the 1990s he'd have totally different numbers. Plus he played great defense. Just my $0.02. ;-D

Exactly, the guy was a 9-time All-star and a 6-time gold glover. He had a ten year span where he played in at least 154 games each season. And all that while having a disease during a time and age where juvenile (aka Type 1) diabetes was a lot more inhibiting for someone to partake in rigorous physical activity at a professional sports level. When you consider his circumstances it truly is amazing what he accomplished.
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -157)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:18 pm

ironman wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
ironman wrote:

Amen to that! ;-D

Do you realize that Santo is one of the top 6-8 greatest 3B of all time? He rates extemely high when compared to all the other great 3B in history. Even if you rate as the #8 3B all-time, he is easily still a HoF. He played his prime in the 60s was was a pitching dominated era. This supressed his career numbers. If he had played in the a920s, 1930s or the 1990s he'd have totally different numbers. Plus he played great defense. Just my $0.02. ;-D

Exactly, the guy was a 9-time All-star and a 6-time gold glover. He had a ten year span where he played in at least 154 games each season. And all that while having a disease during a time and age where juvenile (aka Type 1) diabetes was a lot more inhibiting for someone to partake in rigorous physical activity at a professional sports level. When you consider his circumstances it truly is amazing what he accomplished.

All valid points indeed. I guess for me its just that the full package of what he accomplished as compared to current HOF 3Bs relative to their eras and such, just doesn't quite cut it. Maybe I'm just being picky between great and elite. I think i've strayed from the thread a bit. Prolly should post in a non-fantasy thread if anyone wanted to make other points.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby JDD » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:23 pm

If the Vets Committee had any sense, this would be the year to put Ron Santo in the HOF.

And MLB sure could use the positive PR, no?
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers