Return to Baseball Leftovers

Play Fantasy Baseball Completely Objectively?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby io » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:48 am

i found it best to pretend your a slut, and play like that .. just say to yourself "i'll f*ck anything"

but i think sometimes bias creeps in subconciously .. not sure if that makes any sense
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JDD » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:53 am

Bias? Sure. I tend to draft players who helped me to win a title in one of my leagues last year.

This strategy has worked since the year 2000.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)

Postby mtarail » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:12 am

io wrote:i found it best to pretend your a slut, and play like that .. just say to yourself "i'll f*ck anything"

what he said. ;-D LMAO
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ayebatter » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:05 am

Wellll - its not too hard to keep your fantasy perspective and your homer feelings apart when your 2 teams are the Dodgers and the Tigers. :~(
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:09 am

Am I the only one who won't draft fat players, thug players, or ugly players? I like going for the all-model team.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:08 am

Why have a bias? You play to win, or at least you should. I had 4 teams last year. I owned 0 players from my favorite team. I have no problem loading up on NYY. I don't need to like, or be a (homer)for my guys. I just need them to produce.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:31 am

The original poster wasn't really refering to team bias, but rather player bias which I think everyone is guilty of to some degree or another. I know some people immediately brush off injury-prone players like Griffey or Larry Walker because of the past, but that doesn't mean they are undraftable.

In the case of team bias, I actually think a little is okay. Let's say you're a Cubs fan and watch all of their games. It doesn't hurt to overpay a little for a few cubs players because all year you will know exactly how to evaluate them. Which means there will come a time when you have to be objective and trade them if they seem to be a fluke.

For those truly team biased players out there, I highly recommend you draft the closer from your favorite team. It only costs you one pick and you will always have incentive to root for your team to win (albeit by only 3 runs or less).
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:09 am

I play it very objectively unless the stats are pretty close. If I had to choose between drafting Furcal, O-Cab and Jose Reyes I would probably take Furcal because i'm a Braves fan and I'd get to watch him on most days. But i'm not one of these guys who must have a certain player because they are a Brave. Chipper is my favorite player and I didn't have him on my roster last year that I know of.

;-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby West » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:39 am

i try to stay as unbiased as possible, but sometimes i tend to overvalue younger players- adam dunn a few yaes ago, probably cabrera this year. but i'm in a keeper league so it's pretty acceptable to do that. as for my favorite team - red sox, i'm pretty unbiased towards them. if david ortiz is the best value player out there in the 3rd round, i'll take him. i wouldn't take him in the second. i probably slightly undervalue yankees players because i don't like the yankees. and genereally in the last year i haven't started any of my pitchers at fenway, because i dont' want to root against the sox, and well, the sox have an amazing offense in fenway, it's like colorado in coors to a lesser extent.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby stevethumb » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:37 pm

generally i think i am objective HOWEVER as i pore over boxscores or watch sportscenter there are just some players that i can not in good conscience root for...i will bid on hector luna before i will buy roberto alomar
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers