Return to Baseball Leftovers

Play Fantasy Baseball Completely Objectively?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cooner » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:51 pm

there aren't TOO many players in baseball i avoid, but several in football. Ray Lewis and Randy Moss will never be on a FF team of mine. That said, I'm definitely a bit player-biased... but more for guys I like than dislike. For instance, I've always liked/respected Jeter as a player, and tend to slightly overvalue him, despite the fact that I despise the Yanks. (please don't flame me please don't flame me :-o ) It's hard for me to be team-biased, since my Pirates just haven't had much fantasy talent...
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mocabeenow » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:40 pm

I'm biased when it comes to Santana. I kept him last year thinking he WOULD have the season he did this year. Sure it started off slow, but man was he en fuego!

He's mine, all mine.

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

hometown bias

Postby jecarney64 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:08 pm

I think bias comes into play in that you tend to overvalue the guys on your favorite team, just because you watch them so often. But you may also be more aware of potential sleepers on your hometown team as well.

I also tend to avoid certain guys who have burned me in the past (Griffey, Juan Gonz)!
jecarney64
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:14 pm

I'm never biased when it comes to team (a Cubs fan who owned zero (0) Cubs last summer)).

However, I think it's probably hard for anyone to honestly dodge all hints of bias when it comes to individuals. Yes, my favoritism for Santana and MCabrera paid off nicely with 7th/8th-round picks last year. And, yes, my distrust of Griffy and Kearns continued to pay dividends in '04.

But I also highly regarded Marlon Byrd :-/ and Jeremy Affeldt (as a starter :-P) last summer, and avoided JDDrew like the plague.

Ya win some, ya lose some.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby lesgrant » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:38 pm

I learned my lesson early. My very first year of fantasy baseball, I drafted players I knew and liked. When I ran down my roster with my non-fantasy baseball playing friends, everyone agreed: I was going to kick butt!

Duh. . .I finished next to last, behind a couple of people that stopped playing at the All Star break. The whole season I was banging my head against the wall, Why?!, ,WHY!? From the next season on, I looked only at the numbers. The names are merely reference points for the stats.

HOWEVER, I do have one rule and a handful of do not draft players. The one rule is only one Yankee and one Met (due to the familiarity blind spot) at most. My do not draft list, not surprisingly, contains mostly Red Sox. I haven’t encountered a problem because usually, if you pass on a worthwhile player that you hate in a particular round, there will be another who can put up comparable stats that is still available.

Winning or losing doesn’t come down to my passing on Pedro or Schilling or Ortiz although I’m not opposed to owning Manny, as he’s from Washington Heights (and puts up monster numbers every year).
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby rodg12 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:50 pm

jonnyblack wrote:
Mustangs989 wrote:I try to be as objective as possible, although I find it hard when I'm going up against someone who has a Cub on their fantasy team. Still when making decisions I don't take biases into account, it only leads to trouble.

Yep, cub fans tend to overvalue their players. I play both. I take the best player on the board, but if I have a choice between two players, I'll take the guy from my team or the guy I simply "like" better. To me, that's what makes it fun.

I totally agree Jonny. I too take the best player on the board, but if there is a choice between two very similarly ranked players, I'll definetely take the one I like better.
rodg12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby West » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:57 pm

rodg12: I totally agree Jonny. I too take the best player on the board, but if there is a choice between two very similarly ranked players, I'll definetely take the one I like better.

i think this is really the fun part of fantasy baseball. i mean, you can be as objective as you want and take the best value players out there, but there's nothing more fun than taking a hometown guy or a player you just really like, and watching him carry your team. i'll take one or two of those guys every year, i think it's worth it. it's great when those guys come through for you. in the past few years i've researched more and more and the result is i don't end up overpaying for these guys. if i can land a guy i like in the right round, i'll take him.

jecarney64: I also tend to avoid certain guys who have burned me in the past (Griffey, Juan Gonz)

yeah, and you can't really call this bias. it's obvious that these guys are injury prone, some managers choose to take that risk, some don't.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:18 am

West wrote:but there's nothing more fun than taking a hometown guy or a player you just really like, and watching him carry your team

I think that's got to be the Holy Grail of fantasy when your player has an awesome season both for your fantasy team AND your home team. B-) Talk about satisfying, win/win, having your cake and eating it too, etc. That's why it's so tempting to take the gamble of paying the extra money.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers