Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran bad for the Stros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby trevisc » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:45 am

I think the salaries are crazy but if the Astros are committed to spending the money not only in hitting but also in Pitching then they will be alright. I still think Beltran has a good chance of signing with the Mets
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:02 am

As a side note, Kurkjian was on radio this morning saying he expects Beltran to make a decision on the 8th or 9th.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby stevethumb » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:35 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Or that he has ever won a thing. Scott Hatteberg...yeah OK.

With Hudson and Mulder gone, the A's will be lucky to be contenders this year. In fact, they may find it difficult to get to .500.
what beane has WON is the fact that his teams have won over 90 games year after year, winning division titles consistently w/payrolls below the league average.. look at it this way, give an owner in your fantasy league $100 to spend, another owner $50, and a coupla more $40 and you get $26..would u b expected to WIN ?! could you finish 3rd and 4th consistently under those constrictions ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Postby Pedantic » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:36 pm

Moneyball went right back to B&N when I was finished with it. It was interesting, but not worth $14. Maybe someday I'll find it in the bargain bin for $2.99 and then I'll keep it.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby Cooner » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:42 pm

Pedantic wrote:Moneyball went right back to B&N when I was finished with it. It was interesting, but not worth $14. Maybe someday I'll find it in the bargain bin for $2.99 and then I'll keep it.

isn't that what the library is for... i don't mean to offend or insult you pedantic, but people who do stuff like that annoy me 8-o
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby blankman » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:19 pm

Cooner wrote:
Pedantic wrote:Moneyball went right back to B&N when I was finished with it. It was interesting, but not worth $14. Maybe someday I'll find it in the bargain bin for $2.99 and then I'll keep it.

isn't that what the library is for... i don't mean to offend or insult you pedantic, but people who do stuff like that annoy me 8-o

That is pretty bad. You bought and it and read it, you shouldn't get your money back.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby redsox588 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:51 pm

With Hudson and Mulder gone, the A's will be lucky to be contenders this year. In fact, they may find it difficult to get to .500.

There is no way the A's will even be close to having a .500 record...they will be wayy above that. My guess is that the A's finish 88-74. I think they're a year away from AL West champs but those trades were great moves. They picked up two future young studs in Haren (STL) and Meyer (ATL) to go along with Harden, Zito, and Redman, and they filled some holes on offense. Beane and co. know what they are doing. In 2006 this team will win the AL West. As for 2005, they will be contenders for sure, but I just think their young pitchers need a year of major league experience before they become dominant
RED SOX '04 CHAMPS
redsox588
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lesgrant » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:19 pm

Dude86 wrote:Its funny how this opinion about Beltran didn't show up until it looked like the Astros might not get him. How odd...

Hmmm, yeah. I've never seen that happen before.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby ramble2 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:32 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Or that he has ever won a thing. Scott Hatteberg...yeah OK.

8-o Wow is that ignorant. Have you bothered to see what teams are the winningest in the 00's?

And how short-sighted to only consider the short-term. Leaving aside whether I agree with your 2005 predictions, the A's are in good shape for 2006 and beyond. When you have the Yankees payroll you can afford to only think about tomorrow - after all, you have the luxury of being able to move the aged stars when they no longer produce by simply paying off other teams to take them off your hands. Smaller market teams, though, have to think about the long-term consequences of their moves. Beane made the right trades.

It's for the very same reason that very few teams in baseball can afford to risk signing Beltran to a huge 7 year deal. If the Astros sign Beltran, then Trevisc is correct. It's not just about committing that kind of money to Beltran, but committing to playing the payroll game along with the big boys of the league.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby rich101682 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:19 pm

RugbyD wrote:As a side note, Kurkjian was on radio this morning saying he expects Beltran to make a decision on the 8th or 9th.

Isn't the 8th the last day he could take the offer from the 'Stros?
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers