Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best scoring for H2H?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best scoring for H2H?

Postby Pacman » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:38 am

Hey guys...

Looks like I'm gonna be commissioner for my main league this season (our 5th season). We were Roto for the first 3 season, then H2H last year. The league liked H2H a lot, although I really didn't -- too much spot starting, as we had traditional pitching stats and no penalties for loading up on starters.

Anyway, I don't want to start a Roto vs. H2H thread, as it's been done before in here, but I do want to ask for advice on which kinds of stats or rules to add to offset the blatant spot-starting that I feel lessens the H2H game. I'm thinking of adding "losses" as a pitching category. Any other category suggestions?

Also, we used Yahoo FB Plus last season and will probably do so again... anybody know if Yahoo Plus allows you to set transaction limits -- to keep the spot starting down? I seem to think it was NOT an option for our commish last year.

Anyway, just wanted to see if any of you have ever been in a position to set up an H2H league before, and what moves you made to help the make the league fun and competetive.

Thanks in advance.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:40 am

I'm pretty sure you can set an IP Max per week on Yahoo. That should get rid of the problems right there. You can set transaction limits too I believe.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:28 am

to stop spot starting set a maximum IP per week to go along with a minimum IP to stop people from just using closers.

We used a 12 ip minimum last year and will use a max somewhere in the 75ip range this year.

I wouldn't limit transactions because that will discourage the really active players from getting on everyday and picking up spot starts on offense too.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby posty » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:35 am

I don't think you can set max IP per week... Here are the rules from last year...

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/baseball/ ... es-13.html

You can set how many minimum innings pitched you need to have to be eligible for the pitching categories in H2H.
Softball Supervisor

Postby bryan1327 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:50 am

As commish for our league last season...we had daily roster changes and I set the league limits for transactions at 40...no one complained about it...40 was a high enough number we all thought that you could still be very active in the league..plus...you could still spot start...but..you really had to think about it, "Do I want to use one of my 40 transactions for this guy?"

We had a very competitive league..and the limits on the transactions did nothing to stop it from being one of the most active and better leagues I have ever been in..

And yes...It was a Yahoo league...so I know it was an option last season...

Good luck...
"I am a shining example...of what you never wanna be" TESLA '04
bryan1327
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: at home listening to hair metal...scouring the internet for baseball stuff

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:02 am

you are right..i'll email them in the plus league to see if they are adding it
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -258)
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:40 am

If you want to cut down/eliminate spot atarting and quantity over quality, try more ratio cats over countables. Instead of K's, try K/9 or K/BB. Something like that. :-? I don't see SV% but that would be a nice 1 as well. That's not as bad, though. If you load up on closers, chances are that you will hurt your other cats as you will have some bad closers. A lot of people hate losses as a cat but I love it to dissuade spot starting.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Pacman » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:56 pm

I appreciate all the tips guys. ;-D Yes, Yahoo has Max Innings Pitched settings for it's Roto leagues, but NOT for its H2H. That's the case for both regular and PLUS leagues.

I like the idea to use ratio stats OR losses to keep from too much starter abuse.

I might also set our maximum transactions at around 40 or 50, to cut down on abuse. In our 12 team league last year, we had one guy who had 130 transactions, and one guy who had just 8! I threw those two out, and averaged the total transactions of the other 10 teams, and came up with an average of 50 transactions. So setting it around there seems like it wouldn't affect the way most teams manage, but will stop the blatant spot starters. Throwing in ratioed or negative pitching stats will help too.

Thanks again for the tips. If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free! ;-D

Peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -20)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:39 pm

My H2H league doesn't have an IP max, but we use BB (surrendered) to offset churning of starting pitchers. Seems to do the trick in a basic way ... we still have a couple guys do some spot swapping of pitchers, but none of the wholesale turnover we used to see.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:42 pm

1 thing that you need to remember is that you should always set up the scoring in order to see who has the best team. While it's always nice to dissuade spot starting, you need to remember not to go crazy with cats whose sole purpose is to get rid of add/drops and get away from who has the best team.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers