Return to Baseball Leftovers

Felipe Lopez remain a starter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Felipe Lopez remain a starter?

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:30 am

I noticed this guy has put together a few good games in a row. I am struggling for a SS, and am considering this guy. You think he sticks when Larkin comes off the DL? Maybe he moves to 2b?

Anybody with a scoop, I am calling you out!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby phunkadelic » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:43 pm

Bob Boone has said he wants to get Lopez as much playing time as possible. However, Larkin comes back soon and will become the starting SS. Manger Boone will try to sit Larkin out every 6 games, but he'll cry about it, Boone will get bad press, and he'll cave and keep him in except when they have a day game following a night game.

As for 2B, don't count on Lopez being there every day. Juan Castro is much better defensively and might or might not get the bulk of the playing time. But Aaron Boone will be right back there in a couple of weeks - either when Larson starts hitting like he can in Louisville, or more probably when Russell Branyan comes off the DL (not sure of a date on that) and takes over 3B.

Lopez will continue to make spot starts for the rest of the year, and may possibly get most of the starts at 2B for the next couple of weeks or if Larkin goes down again. But unless you're in a deep NL-only league, or if you're in a keeper league with a deep bench, don't waste your time. He really isn't all that good anyway.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chichpsalm » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:48 pm

For what it's worth, the Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting that Lopez will occupy 2B starting when Larkin comes back, with Castro to play every 3rd day or so (alternating between replacing Lopez and Larkin). Branyan is playing at Lousville (AAA), and should be back in a couple weeks. I agree with Phunkypants, you only want Felipe in a deep NL-only league.
Did you know there are no such things as "white" or "black" people?

http://onehumanrace.com/
chichpsalm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers