Return to Baseball Leftovers

CC Sabathia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CC Sabathia

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:40 pm

I want to get some opinions of Sabathia.

From looking at a number of rankings he seems like he is going much higher than I would take him. Ive got nothing against the guy, I think he's got talent and he's young - but at the same time, he's never posted a WHIP under 1.3 and he's only had one season with a sub 4 ERA. To me it seems like the guy is more hype than substance when you look at his bottom line. He doesnt even have that great of a k/9.

Help me understand why many people think he is a top 30 SP.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:59 pm

Eh, I like the guy, but I never really drafted him until the much later rounds. The reason that I keep picking him is because of his age. The dude is 24! I feel that he will improve, especially if he looses weight.

I really don't think I could take him in the top 30 pitchers, but then I haven't really sat down to determine the top 30 pitchers either...
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:04 pm

I'm not sure where he fits into the rankings # wise but I'll take a chance on a guy that should win around 15 games, has a good era and should get some help from a decent offense hopefully.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:19 pm

I've got him at 15-162-3.75-1.319 which is good enough for 34th on my list. He excels at nothing, but is decent at everything and gives up few HR/9. As mentioned previously he is only 24 and also has whipped his ass into shape this year. I think a low risk/moderate reward pitcher is a good pick for 3-5 in your rotation.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Firechicken » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:24 pm

Last year he was lights out the first half and faded as the year went on. First half stats would have put him in the top ten pitchers not counting wins. He's such a porky boy. Maybe sucking air in the second half made him realize he needed to lose that belly. If so, maybe he'll put together an awesome year this year.
"Baseball is 90% mental.., the other half is physical".
Firechicken
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby rlee » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:25 pm

I think that if you look at his splits, 2nd half fades have gotten him and bloated his ERA, WHIP (in 2004 ... 2.78/5.54; 1.17/1.47).I've read reports where he has lost weight, but I have no confirmed information on that.

One concern about Sabathia. He's only 24 and has already pitched a ton of innings in the last 4 years. He's averaged about 195 IP over the last 4 years. The track record of young pitchers logging this many innings is not good. I'd be wary of him this year.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -3)

Re: CC Sabathia

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:31 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I want to get some opinions of Sabathia.

From looking at a number of rankings he seems like he is going much higher than I would take him. Ive got nothing against the guy, I think he's got talent and he's young - but at the same time, he's never posted a WHIP under 1.3 and he's only had one season with a sub 4 ERA. To me it seems like the guy is more hype than substance when you look at his bottom line. He doesnt even have that great of a k/9.

He was the youngest player in baseball when he broke into the league at age 19 in 02. He was an above average pitcher that year and looked very promising. His K rate plummeted in his second year but he remained a decent pitcher. His third year he posted good numbers overall with an expectation that he will step it up big time in 04. And he pitched awesome for a few months giving hope to owners that he has finally put it all together. But he imploded pretty badly in the second half just like every other CLE pitcher.

Now he has 4 full years of big league experience under his belt. With an improved team and still only 24 years old, I would expect him to step it up some. I think most people remember him getting hammered in the second half but I recall how good he was before that. Fatigue is a factor but his control is the biggest issue. All he needs to do is improve his BB rate and he will be a very good pitcher. Perhaps not to the point we initially expected him to be but still very good.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Re: CC Sabathia

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:32 am

Yoda wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I want to get some opinions of Sabathia.

He was the youngest player in baseball when he broke into the league at age 19 in 02. He was an above average pitcher that year and looked very promising. His K rate plummeted in his second year but he remained a decent pitcher. His third year he posted good numbers overall with an expectation that he will step it up big time in 04. And he pitched awesome for a few months giving hope to owners that he has finally put it all together. But he imploded pretty badly in the second half just like every other CLE pitcher.

Now he has 4 full years of big league experience under his belt. With an improved team and still only 24 years old, I would expect him to step it up some. I think most people remember him getting hammered in the second half but I recall how good he was before that. Fatigue is a factor but his control is the biggest issue. All he needs to do is improve his BB rate and he will be a very good pitcher. Perhaps not to the point we initially expected him to be but still very good.

Very Nice Yoda...Great information, and I like your thinking... ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -23)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:56 am

Nice pitcher for $12 - 195inn / 162 k's - 13 w - 3.85 era - 1.32 whip
is how I see it. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:43 am

I am higher on him than most and I believe that this is the year that his production finally matches his waistline. I picked him in 2 keeper leagues in the 13th round and couldn't be happier. In 1, he is my #3 starter and I'll take that every time. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Return to Baseball Leftovers