Return to Baseball Leftovers

HR vs SB

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:42 am

If that is the case, does that mean a guy like Podsednik is very valuable? granted he wont do anything great in the other categories, but if the value of a steal is worth 3 times that of a HR, that means he holds alot of value if he steals 50 bases.....

He holds a ton of value if you are attempting to win the SB category, he loses value if you are trying to remain competitive in the others.

One thing about the value of a SB that doesn't make it 3X as valuable as a HR is that SB come in bunches most normally. If you are attempting to win the SB category you only need a couple of players to give yourself an excellent chance and the rest of your players don't need to steal. If you are attempting to win any other hitting category you normally need good production out of every position and great production out of a few.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:50 am

So would you guys all agree that your rankings cant really remain the entire way through the draft, because you are gonna need to draft guys that help in certain areas, based on what your needs are.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Tavish » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:52 am

RynMan wrote:So would you guys all agree that your rankings cant really remain the entire way through the draft, because you are gonna need to draft guys that help in certain areas, based on what your needs are.

Without a doubt. Have a plan but be flexible.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby RynMan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:02 am

I think this problem becomes irrelevant when you talk about positions like 1B, 3B, and C where there are basically nobody with alot of steals.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Cooner » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:45 am

keep in mind that one reason the guys who are base-stealers may be popping way up higher than expected in your rankings may be because the deviation in stolen bases is huge- there are 6 guys who will get 40+ SB, another 18 who get 20+ and don't absolutely kill more than one of your other 4 cats (and i'm not considering Pods as killing you, for example). They all play OF, 2B, or SS (with a few 3B tossed in). There are 7 guys who will get 40+ HR, another 83ish who will get 20+, who won't kill you in more than one other catagory (for most, it's SB).

My point is just that the standard deviation in stolen bases is rather large because relatively few guys get most of the league's total steals. Therefore, in most ranking systems, those guys are going to get a large number of points just for their steals, where as the guy who hits 40 homers isn't doing THAT much better than the guy who hits 20, and doesn't get many ranking points (or dollars if you prefer).

This whole argument just explains why they're popping up, it has nothing to do with whether they SHOULD be popping way up in your rankings or not... that's for you to decide ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Fool42 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:56 pm

I think both are equal. If you scrifice the hr cat so that you can take 1 or 2 guys that will win you the SB cat then you're not doing yourself any favors. In ROTO I guess it would depend on far down in the HR cat you would fall. If it would only be 1 or 2 spots then you might be ok. In H2H a win in one cat is as good as a win in another cat. So if you can still be competitive in the other cats then go ahead and pick a guy that will put up there amongst the leaders. That is why guys like Abreau, Crawford, Soriano, and Vlad have such high values they contribute or have potential to contribute to all the hitting cats. You don't have to sacrifice power or average for speed.
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -9)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers