Return to Baseball Leftovers

Starting a Keeper, need help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting a Keeper, need help

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:33 pm

I am starting a keeper league with some friends. We have decided to up the buy-in and make it a yearly keeper. I think we are keeping 3 or 4, unsure as of yet. My question is whether Yahoo is decent enough to hold a keeper league. We are debating moving from Yahoo to a new site. Which site is best for yearly keeper leagues? Which site has the most benefits and usablility? We are also looking for any unique rules that would make the league even more entertaining, any ideas would be appreciated. I would have searched for this but some of the guys in my league are checking the site for my post. Thanks alot.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:38 pm

Using Yahoo for a keeper requires a little extra bookwork for the commish. The Yahoo groups (free) are useful for this. Yahoo is fine for a keeper unless you're going to be heavily involved with minor leaguers but it should be fine for a league keeping 3 to 4.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby ramble2 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:19 pm

I copied this from a post I made in a similar thread you might want to look at. My league uses a pretty unique format that's worked well for us:

ramble2 wrote:My league does things a little differently. At the end of each season, each team is allotted a certain number of 'Contract Years' (CYs) based on where they finish in the standings. These CYs can use to sign players to various length contracts. Each year of a player contract costs one CY, and each player you keep costs you a draft pick (starting from your 1st pick). Last year teams in my league kept from 2 to 8 players, and signed players from 1 to 4 year deals. After players finish their contract, they are restricted free agents. This means that other teams may make bids on that player to sign them away from the original team. The original team has the option (if they have enough CYs) to match any offers made to free agents on their team.

Any keeper league inherently favors better teams - presumably because they have the better players to keep! One nice thing about the CY system is that it mitigates this tendency a bit by awarding more CYs to teams that finished lower in the standings. Overall, you see keeper-worthy players moving from better to worse teams. Makes it more of a challenge to stay on top, and adds a lot of strategy.

It's been a ton of fun, and keeps people active in the off-season too. Here's a link to the rules page if you are interested.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby ScurvyDog » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:42 am

I'm in a fifteen year keeper league. We use CBS Sportslines Baseball Commissioner service and love it.

http://www.commissioner.com
"Life is tough. But it is even tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
ScurvyDog

Return to Baseball Leftovers