Return to Baseball Leftovers

Utility spots

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Utility spots

Postby nsulham » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:55 pm

For those of you who use Utility spots, how do you approach them in your draft?

Since it's not a "normal" position, do you wait until you have all the other positions filled to fill it?

Or, do you just go by the theory that if you already have a player at Position A, and there's another player close to the same value at the same position just sitting there for you, do you jump on him?

I ask because I already have A-Rod in a keeper and it's the one position (3B) where I wish he didn't play because of the depth at 3B this year. Now if somehow Chavez, Blalock, Mora, A-Ram, etc., are waiting for me where the value is too good to pass up I'd have to consider taking them and filling up my Utility.

Not that I wouldn't mind having one of them as my utility but it just seems like a waste to draft a position I already have as a utility, while I could be filling other spots. Damn you for switching to 3B A-Rod!
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:01 pm

if the next best player available is a 3B, then go for it unless there is a big position scarcity-driven pick to be made elsewhere. the util spot is going to be a duplicate of some position eventually.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby nsulham » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:03 pm

RugbyD wrote:if the next best player available is a 3B, then go for it unless there is a big position scarcity-driven pick to be made elsewhere. the util spot is going to be a duplicate of some position eventually.

Yeah thanks. I realized that, but was just curious as to how early is to early to make that duplicate pick.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:05 pm

i drafted arod with 1.4 and mora with 5.4
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker