Return to Baseball Leftovers

I think Aaron Rowand is way overrated.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I think Aaron Rowand is way overrated.

Postby Carey Saders » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:08 pm

Walks don't count in typical 5X5 roto, but they do indicate who has a good eye at the plate. The fact that Rowand doesn't walk tells me he'd better be a darn good base hitter.

The guy had a spectacular August but none of his other months were even close to living up to his expectations.

I'm sorry. If a guy can onlt manage to walk 4 times in an entire month, he's destined to be a bust.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I think Aaron Rowand is way overrated.

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:24 pm

Carey Saders wrote:Walks don't count in typical 5X5 roto, but they do indicate who has a good eye at the plate. The fact that Rowand doesn't walk tells me he'd better be a darn good base hitter.

The guy had a spectacular August but none of his other months were even close to living up to his expectations.

I'm sorry. If a guy can onlt manage to walk 4 times in an entire month, he's destined to be a bust.

well hes probably overrated because he has only had one good season...but still he is a good pick up in mid rounds or at least he could be
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby free » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:41 pm

if the majority considers him a good late round fill in pick i wouldn't say thats overrated. he has a pretty good mix of speed and power and if i remember right he had a few pretty consistant months in the second half last year and actually helped put me over the top. so with that said i'd take him as a fourth or fifth outfielder and be happy ;-D
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -16)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:51 pm

free wrote:if the majority considers him a good late round fill in pick i wouldn't say thats overrated. he has a pretty good mix of speed and power and if i remember right he had a few pretty consistant months in the second half last year and actually helped put me over the top. so with that said i'd take him as a fourth or fifth outfielder and be happy ;-D

thats the problem though, i think many rankings have him as a #2 outfielder. with some speed and power, its possible he can live up to that ranking but i think there is too much risk for me to take him as high as some rankings have him.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:52 pm

great topic. I think Rowand is one of the most overated OFers going right now. Not enough history - he's shown me one really good month (AUG '04), a couple decent months (JUN,JUL), and thats about it. Besides that, CHW OF situation is pretty messy with the number of people they should give time to.

I dont know when I would draft him because I doubt I will ever get the chance to - he'll be drafted about 4-5 rounds prior to when Id begin to think about him.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nat Uralice » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:03 pm

Definitely agree that Rowand is good but overrated. I would like him for this year but some people have 25-25 with nearly .300 easily within reach, and therefore are spending more then I would on him. Rowand is certainly capable of those numbers, but a couple of good seasons together would be nice, which he's never really had the chance to do. Good fourth OF or 3rd if you're thin.
Can't worry about tomorrow's pain tonight.
Nat Uralice
College Coach
College Coach

Postby soxfan364 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:50 pm

Interesting, I didn't realize he walked so few times.....I had him down as a mid level OF anyway.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -14)

Postby Pedantic » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:55 pm

I'm even lower than most on him: I don't think he'll be worth a roster spot in mixed leagues. Of course, I've mentioned what I think of him in the past, but I doubt anyone noticed. :-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:05 pm

Soriano manages to be pretty valuable without taking walks.

The jury is out on Rowand but I also think that he is overrated. If you can draft him as a bench player and sit him during his cold streaks then he could be very valuable.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -414)

Postby jonnyblack » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:23 pm

Rowand is a Spreadsheet Anomaly. Worth a look late, i suppse, but I'll let someone else draft him and drop him.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers