Return to Baseball Leftovers

Please rank these SPs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please rank these SPs

Postby TB13 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:11 am

First off, I just wanted to say that this site is great. I am a long-time fantasy baseball player and have only recently discovered this site. I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of information I have been able to glean my reading the posts. There is a lot of great insight here.
And now to business. How would you guys rank these pitchers:

Harden
Burnett
Halladay
Becket
Zito
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:35 am

Halladay
Beckett
Burnett
Harden

Zito

I'd be happy with any of the first four as my 2nd starter, but Zito is more like a 3rd starter (in a 12-team league)
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -156)

Postby jeff926 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:39 am

Harden-he's only gonna get better
Burnett- high ceiling, but have never seen him do a ton
Halladay- one incredible year... can he do it again?
Zito- downward trend
Beckett- injury prone and overrated
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:59 am

Halladay
Burnett
Beckett
Harden
Zito
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Dans » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:02 am

Beckett
Harden
Halladay
Burnett
Zito
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:03 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Halladay
Burnett
Beckett
Harden
Zito

ill go with this list. Zito sholdnt be considered in this tier however - clearly a step below.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TB13 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:50 am

[quote="Cornbread Maxwell"]
Halladay
Burnett
Beckett
Harden
Zito[/quote]

ill go with this list. Zito sholdnt be considered in this tier however - clearly a step below.[/quote]

Zito below Harden? While I agree, just think of how the mighty have fallen. Zito was within spitting distance of being one of the best lefties in all of baseball a few years back. And he is still young.
So I take it that the popular thought is that Halladay, despite the injuries, is still considered one of the top hurlers. He certainly seems to be getting picked ahead of the group in most mocks.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:03 pm

TB13 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
pogotheduck wrote:Halladay
Burnett
Beckett
Harden
Zito

ill go with this list. Zito sholdnt be considered in this tier however - clearly a step below.

Zito below Harden? While I agree, just think of how the mighty have fallen. Zito was within spitting distance of being one of the best lefties in all of baseball a few years back. And he is still young.
So I take it that the popular thought is that Halladay, despite the injuries, is still considered one of the top hurlers. He certainly seems to be getting picked ahead of the group in most mocks.

You are right - Zito has fallen a very long way in about 3 years - and rightly so. His K/BB ratio kept getting worse and worse over that span. As of right now, there isnt a lot of evidence to suggest he will return to his past dominance unless he learns a new pitch.

The only inury Halladay suffered was a fatigue issue brought on by age and the number of pitches he threw in years leading up to '04. With proper rest he should return to form and really isnt any more of an injury risk than anyone else.

Burnett, Beckett, and Harden all are very close - all of them have huge ceilings - I can see Burnett being a cy young candidate this yr - he has the stuff for it, and his team will make the playoffs at a minimum - the problem exists that he could be dealt however. Any one of these 3 have a great chance to lead the list from above.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby foulballstrike3 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:05 pm

This is how I see them finishing this year, not neccesarily how they would obviously be drafted:
Burnett
Halladay
Beckett
Harden
Zito
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bsmelly » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:05 pm

Halladay
Becket
Burnett
Zito
Harden

Halladay should bounce back fine this year, you could argue either way with Beckett/Burnett but I have beckett slightly higher due to age and that a blister problem should be easier to overcome than arm problems. Both have that injury lable though. I don't see Zito as a true #1 starter and he will suffer without Hudson and Mulder in the rotation. Harden has shown glimpses of brilliance, but still appears to be very inconsistent at this point.
bsmelly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers