Return to Baseball Leftovers

SI ranks the NL rotations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dlycious » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:45 pm

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. It's not like Smoltz has never done this before. I've seen several medical opinions say that an SP's arm actually gets LESS wear and tear than an often used reliever due to the extended rest in between outings.

I have all the confidence in the world that Smoltz will regain his mound control that he had as a starter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/smoltjo01.shtml
Dlycious
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:56 pm

yeah i got to say the cubs are still the best. smoltz and prior may be roughly equal. i give the edge to hudson over wood. however, zambrano beats the hell out of hampton and maddux is much better than thomson. i think ramirez will be better than rusch but not so much as to make up the significant advantage that the cubs #3 and #4 pitchers have over the braves #3 and #4.

i think the mets are a little over rated and the cards a little under rated. benson and zambrano havent shown to be any good at all. the cards arent exactly a fearsome bunch but they just crank out tons of quality starts which has to be worth something.

the stros are hard to peg. potentially a good top 3 of clemens, oswalt and pettite, but not sure about pett's health, not sure what backe is going to do over a full season, and have no idea who the 5th starter is.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby delux_247 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:41 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Dmville wrote:And Astros 5 while Marlins are 3? I would take any one of the top 4 Astros SP's over any of FLA's. If your gonna discount Clemens for age, don't ya have to discount Leiter as well?

wow - not me. good luck with that. I'll take Os over all of them, but AJ, Beckett, and Clemens are about equal in my book. Pettitte is a joke. I think the Marlins 1-5 pretty much dominates the stros 1-5.

Who on the Marlins is better than Oswalt?
delux_247
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rich101682 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:55 pm

Dlycious wrote:
I'll give you Hudson, maybe Ramirez, but not Smoltz. We have no idea how well he's going to return to starting duty. I'll take Prior on my team any day, over almost any SP in the league, except Santana and Sheets at this point.

We have no idea how well Prior's arm will hold up either. He didn't exactly light the world on fire last year either. At least Smoltz performed well in his role and was/is healthy. Prior at 100% is better, but I'm not ready to put him there yet.

Check Priors stats for the last month or so to see how he lit the world on fire.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:58 pm

delux_247 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Dmville wrote:And Astros 5 while Marlins are 3? I would take any one of the top 4 Astros SP's over any of FLA's. If your gonna discount Clemens for age, don't ya have to discount Leiter as well?

wow - not me. good luck with that. I'll take Os over all of them, but AJ, Beckett, and Clemens are about equal in my book. Pettitte is a joke. I think the Marlins 1-5 pretty much dominates the stros 1-5.

Who on the Marlins is better than Oswalt?

no one - reread my post.

Although - I do think both Burnett and Beckett have the talent to be better than Os - both have ceilings near Os'.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby davidmarver » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:28 pm

Cubs rotation is far better than the Braves.

Padres rotation is better than where they are ranked and the Marlins rotation is a bit overrated.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:32 pm

davidmarver wrote:Cubs rotation is far better than the Braves.

Padres rotation is better than where they are ranked and the Marlins rotation is a bit overrated.

howd i know u would say this
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -144)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:33 pm

My guess he just picked the names out of a hat... :-/

OK...so he probably put a little more research than that in it...but still his rankings are pretty bad... :-t

I think the Nationals, D-Backs and Pirates are to low....and not to be a homer..but health, the Cubbies are the best in the NL... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:34 pm

I don't know where i stand on this one. On the one hand, fantasy wise you certainly give the edge to the Cubs because they strike people out, but that isn't everything in real baseball. Especially considering all of the Braves starters (except for Ramirez) pitched the entire time last year. And though Smoltz did not start, I believe he led the league in Saves that went for more than an inning. In a year or two Prior should easily be the better pitcher of the two, and looking at his potential, the better overall. But, this year I don't know that I can put a pitching staff with the health concerns the Cubs have against a staff like the Braves. Every year they are discounted and every year they are near the top (if not number one).
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers